Pain cut into her lungs as Bai Qian felt the air being forced out of her, and her body leaned backwards as she coughed harshly, black spots dotting the edges of her vision, and she vaguely heard Ye Hua give a shout, before his muscular arms caught her, and Bai Qian felt the world swirling around her, with the floor seemingly floating on its own. “Qian Qian,” Ye Hua’s tone was chiding and concerned, but even as the sweat rolled down her forehead from her hairline in fat beads of salty water, Bai Qian shook her head, lifting a hand to wipe away the blood that had escaped with her cough, “I’m fine, Ye Hua. Help me up.”

“You just coughed up blood, Qian Qian. We should just stop here.” Ye Hua advised, wiping away her sweat for her, but Bai Qian shook her head again, “I’m almost done, Ye Hua...the fungal grass is starting to take shape...please...” Gazing up at her husband with the most pleading gaze she could muster, Bai Qian watched as Ye Hua began to melt under her gaze, and within moments, Ye Hua gave a sigh, before he pulled her up to her feet, “Very well, Qian Qian.”

Lifting her hand again, Bai Qian once again began to transfer cultivation into the furnace, watching as the flames licked higher and higher while her cultivation wrapped itself around the fungal grass, compressing it further into a spherical shape. She had already spent near to a quarter of her cultivation transforming the Divine Fungal Grass, and even as Bai Qian's hand shook violently as pain began to stab her chest once more, blood sprayed from her lips, landing with a patter on the floor of the furnace room, and Bai Qian hunched over her in agony, the pain overwhelming her entire self just within a moment.

Her hand struggled in mid air, as Bai Qian fought her best to keep going, but even as blood dripped from the side of her mouth onto the marbled flooring of the furnace room, Bai Qian was hardly aware that she depended on Ye Hua's hands to provide the only support keeping her upright. With a last gasp of pain, Bai Qian's hand finally faltered, dropping to her side as a completed pill flew out from the medicinal furnace, gleaming brightly as it hovered in mid air, before falling into Ye Hua's outstretched palm.

Her eyelids fluttering, Bai Qian gave a satisfied smile of completion, before she sank completely into Ye Hua's arms, her body going limp and her eyes rolling back into her skull as she fell into unconsciousness.

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

“Zhe Yan...is Gugu alright?”

A-Li had just been put to sleep, and Feng Jiu had been about to nest up in a random tree when she had spotted a black figure running towards the cottage in the peach blossom grove, and had followed the figure in curiosity, only to realise it was none other than her Gufu, and in his arms were none other than her aunt. “Where’s Zhe Yan?” Ye Hua had barked at her urgently, but even as Feng Jiu had whirled around, ready to sprint for the phoenix, Zhe Yan had already emerged from his hut, Bai Zhen relighting the candles in it, and upon seeing Bai Qian’s unconscious form, Zhe Yan had wordlessly led Ye Hua into his hut.

“What did she do again, this time?” Zhe Yan asked, with a tone of amusement and slight exasperation as he began to ladle a black liquid that he had seemingly been brewing, and when met with Feng Jiu’s curious gaze, he gave a laugh, “Don’t worry, Xiao Jiu, this isn’t poison. It’s an anti-abortifacient potion.” “Oh.” Feng Jiu felt a laugh escape her lips as well, in spite of the situation, and Zhe Yan gave her a grin, “Beecause Xiao Wu lands herself so often that I might as well just keep brewing it.”

“Thank you for your thoughtfulness, High God. Qian Qian has just lost a lot of cultivation, and some blood as well. She will be needing that, as well as some nourishment to help her body cope with its losses.” Ye Hua bowed, still carrying Bai Qian in his arms, and Zhe Yan jerked his chin slightly towards the bed, “Lay her down there, Ye Hua. I will tend to her. You should check on your son first, however. He is sleeping alone in Xiao Wu’s room, and I suspect he may not have quite fallen asleep.”

“Huh? But I already put A-Li to sleep...?” Feng Jiu blinked in confusion, but Ye Hua merely rose from beside Bai Qian’s resting form, “So he did come to Qing Qiu after all.” “Yes, he did. And he came whining piteously, too, about how both his parents didn't love him.” Bai Zhen tapped Ye Hua’s shoulder with his fan, “Not that I want to rub anything in, but the boy is indeed only 300 years old, Ye Hua. A-Li may not have understood the meaning behind your actions. You should find some time to explain your intentions to him.”

“I know. Qian Qian said the same.” Ye Hua nodded, his gaze cool as steel, and Bai Zhen gave a sound of approval, “Good to know my little sister has wisened up.” “If there’s nothing else, High God, I take my leave. I will return later once I’ve settled A-Li to check on Qian Qian.” Ye Hua bent into a respectful bow, and Zhe Yan replied to him with a casual wave of his hand, “Go on, Ye Hua. If she wakes up before you return, I’ll have someone inform you.”

With Zhe Yan's words, the Crown Prince gave a nod, and turning on his heel, Ye Hua left the hut and began to walk back towards the Fox Den.

•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•▪︎•

A/N: I intended for this chapter to be longer, but unfortunately I was running a rather high fever last evening and I'm still feeling feverish today. Haven't got the energy or the focus to write anything after I finished up till here since yesterday, and likely won't be able to update until I'm better.

But anyway, hope you guys didn't mind this chapter, and since it's Christmas Eve in where I'm from, I wish y'all a Merry Christmas, and stay safe y'all, don't fall sick like me yikes (this is my first time falling sick this whole year geez and I jist had to fall ill before Christmas UGH 🙄😭)

So...as always,
Z, out.