17 Beating Heart

POV Hiro

Finally lunch time! I was with my aunt yesterday so she packed me some of her hottest food to take with. I decided to save it for lunch time.

"Bon Ápetit!" Punzie cheered as she was about to start having her lunch. I was just finishing up heating mine and I see how the new girl, our chief, is going to fridge. She takes out a lunch box and goes to sit in a corner, eating couple of sandwiches.

She took one bite and I took my food from the microwave. I inhaled deeply as I went to sit next to her. She had taken some distance from the rest of the group like usual.

"Hey," I started. It was a bit awkward but I tried to cover my nervousness by stuffing my mouth full of food. Bad idea, I started coughing.

"Hi," she smiled faintly back and continued her eating.

"What you have in your sandwich? I mean you usually eat yoghurt as lunch," I chuckled and then I wanted to slap myself. Idiot.

She laughed a bit, "It's actually a grilled baguette. It has some melted cheese, sun dried tomatoes, honey glazed ham and other veggies. Really good." She grinned.

"Umm.. that's odd," I mumbled out and I stare at her. She is blushing.

"What?" Elsa gulped and I see from the corner of my eye how others are looking at our direction. Their casual lunch chat has paused a bit.

"Frost had that for lunch sometimes. I think that he had the precisely same things," I shrugged and used my eating sticks to get more food.

She started to cough and laughed nervously for some reason. "Um.. what Frost?" She said and put her sandwich back to the box.

"Well, our previous chief. We called him Frost because he was cool and really good at putting down the flames. You should have seen the guy!" I laughed and I noticed Elsa staring to her right and whispering something.

I heard the last part. "Stop being cocky," she sounded annoyed as she whispered quietly.

"Chief?" I asked as I stared at her. Her eyes widened and she quickly took another bite of her sandwich.

"I'm okay," she said and asked me to continue.

"Yeah, well I think that snow and ice works well against heat. That's why he got his nickname after the winter's spirit," I smiled and Elsa was blushing. She acted out weirdly.

"Umm.. I found a bread grill and uh.. there was a recipe for this sandwich. Nothing more and it was probably his since the apartment used to be his," Elsa said and shrugged her shoulders.

"If you say so," I smiled faintly and I grabbed some of the hot sauce with rice and I was about to eat more.

Alarm started ringing.

"Agh! Why always when I'm eating, sleeping or in a bathroom!" Hiccup groaned and went to throw his plate to sink. Everyone stood up and put down their plates.

We rushed out from the coffee room and slide down the pole.

"Gear up quickly! We have our job to do!" Elsa ordered as she grabbed her jacket and helmet.

I ran to fire truck and I was the last one. Elsa told me to hurry and she gave me her hand. I gasped when she took a hold of my hand. It was like she had kept her hand inside a freezer for too long.

I look at the changing views outside while Merida is driving. There's some slushy snow today because the weather is quite warm today. People are clearing the street for our truck that's driving with flashing lights and in a hurry.