3 The Meaning of Fire

POV Elsa

Today we brought our things to Anna's student apartment building's storage unit. We would start our tour in the nearby cities today, travel a bit before we would settle in Burgess.

"So exciting, right Elsa?!" Anna squealed when she gets the final box from moving truck. "It sure is," I smile to her as I look the landscape. The campus is still empty looking since the school year hasn't started yet. Now the whole yard is empty from students who probably enjoy reading in the outside air, under the trees on beautiful days. "Your campus is nice," I sighed to Anna when she came back from the storage unit.

"Told you that this is the best place to study acting," she giggled and elbowed me. I hummed and rolled my eyes but I knew that she was right. It had wide yard with freshly cut lawn. It was the beginning of August and Anna's school would start in the middle of September.

"Let's go to our adventure?" I grinned to Anna. She nodded her head in excitement and we're going to our rented car when my phone suddenly rang. "Who is it?" Anna asked when she went into the car.

"It's unknown number but let me get it first. I'll be ready soon," I smiled to Anna as I pressed the green button. "Elsa Arendelle," I responded and I heard the man introducing himself as the leading fire chief of Burgess.

"Oh, hello Chief Corona," I greeted him and Anna did a muffled squeal while she holds her thumbs up. I rolled my eyes and closed the car door which made her pout.

Then my heart dropped when he told me what has happened. "You lost one firefighter less than a month ago?" I gulped. "T-that's horrible," I whispered.

"It truly is sad. We're however in the need of a new firefighter. Would you come to meet me in my office at fire station 313. How soon can you come? I believe that you're now in the US?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm already in Burgess but I will be leaving for a small road trip with my sister soon. I could visit you today?" I told him and he muttered something.

"Alright if you can come now," he told me and then we ended the call. I went inside the car where Anna was waiting. "Well?" Anna grinned.

"We're having a stop in fire station 313 first," I smiled and started the car. The news about what had happened is still making me feel sad. I heard how the navigator device gave me instructions of how to drive to fire station 313 and it wasn't actually that far away.

"Wait in the car," I told to Anna gently as I left the car. I saw the sign of 313 in fire stations wall. There was a red fire truck parked in the doorway, it's surface was shining. It seemed to be a neat looking place which was well taken care of by the firemen who work there. Their suits were nicely placed on the wall on the left.

Then I saw a sign that guided me to upstairs and to Mr Corona's office. I knocked the door and soon a tired but gentle looking man, with few wisps of gray hair on his dark brown hair opened up the door. Then I see what he is wearing, it's the black uniform and some honor medals.

When Mr. Corona noticed my stare he smiled sadly, "You must be Elsa, please come on in. I'm about to go to a funeral, we just got him back from forensics." Then he sighed sadly when he closed the door.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, I feel sad too even though I didn't know him but I feel a connection since we're all--," I started and then Mr. Corona hummed. "Because we're firefighters," Mr Corona finished my sentence and gestured me to sit. I nodded my head and sat in front of his desk.

He sat across the table and crossed his hands. "I see that you're a caring person which is what this station needs," he smiled. I raised my eyebrow, "He was from this station?" Mr. Corona nodded his head. "We have one extra member in each fire stations team so we're not short in staff yet but I would like us to have that extra member none the less," he exhaled.