4 Fire that Burns You

POV Punzie

Last evening I was on a date, first time after the funeral which was two weeks ago. However I couldn't be out that late since it was our stations turn to be ready this weekend in case there's a fire or an accident.

After I was dressed into my jogging pants and t-shirt I went to breakfast downstairs. Everything was as usual, dad was drinking his coffee like every morning and reading the paper. He refuses to eat anything before he has his first cup of coffee. I grinned when I saw mom doing blueberry pancakes which is tradition, every Saturday morning she does those.

"Morning!" I said cheerfully and I sat to my place. Dad lowered his paper and nodded his head, "Morning sweetie. How was your date?" He asked.

"Well you know," I said while I buttered a piece of toast, "Really nice but too short since we're again on duty this weekend." I lifted my eyebrow, "You're keeping us busy dad."

Dad sighed and smiles sadly to me, while mum wishes us both good morning and hands us our pancakes. "It's not totally my idea, I think that Jack wants to keep himself busy," he sighed.

I exhaled loudly as I started cutting the pancakes into smaller pieces. "Yeah, I know. Well you can't blame him, he's still young like all of us.. It's not like you everyday lose a team member or a friend," I said quietly as I stared at my breakfast.

The crumbling sound of the paper caught my attention and then I feel how dad touches my wrist. "Just try to keep up your lively spirit, I'm sure that you all will learn how to deal with the loss at some point," he smiles to me.

I nodded my head, "Sorry dad. I know that you have lost team members too when you were a firefighter who was working on field." I wiped my hair behind of my ear. He hummed,"Yes but my worst nightmare would be losing you. I mean it has not been so long since we got you back."

"Yeah but I'm here now," I smiled to him. "What are you two talking about?" Mum chuckled as she sat down to the table. She had just returned from the stables. We were living in the countryside since our horse Maximus loved to have some space around him.

I startled when our wall clock started to ring. "No! I'm late!" I shouted and quickly I stuffed rest of the food to my mouth and then I run to grab the car keys.

"Be safe!" My mom yelled after me when I ran outside. "Sure!" I shouted back n the best I could when there's a toast in your mouth and then I jump inside my car. I started it and then I rushed to our fire station.

As I passed the fire station after 30min drive and drove to back where there's a parking lot I saw Jack laying on the hood of the fire truck. He seemed like he was asleep and he used his arms as a pillow as he laid on his back.

I wasn't the only one who was running late, I could see that Hiccup was getting out form his car too in the parking lot. He smiled and waved his hand. "Hey!" I grinned to him and waved but then I saw who was also getting out from the car. It was Hiro.

I hesitated for a moment but then I went to them, "Hi Hiro. How are you?" I spoke to him and for a moment he took his eyes away from looking at the pavement. "Managing," he gave me a faint smile. I could see the black circles around his eyes and his whole presence seemed tired and sad.

"I promised to take care of him since this dude wanted to come back to work," Hiccup laughed nervously and placed his arm over Hiro's shoulder. He messed up his hair.

Hiro pouted and tried to push Hiccup away but instead Hiccup laughed and did a Mohawk of Hiro's hair. Hiro gasped when he touched his head. "Haha! Try and catch me!" Hiccup chuckled and runs away. "I'm so gonna avenge!" Hiro shouted and runs after him. I giggled to their actions as I threw my bag over my shoulder.