Beside You - Chapter 4

Luke's POV

When I got into my hotel I bounded over to the bed and flung my suitcase on the floor and jumped on my bed, dialing facetime with Nessie. After a moment her face popped up. "BABY!" I squealed.

"Lukey!" she grinned.

"Oh god I miss you so much." I whimpered, feeling my tears well up again.

"Baby, baby no no please don’t cry." she begged.

"I can't help it, my heart hurts..." I whimpered.

"Hey; no sad face Mr. I don't like being away from you any more than you like being away from me but you're going on a world wide STADIUM tour with One Direction of all bands." she said.

"I know babe I know, but it means nothing without seeing your beautiful face on the side stage......" I said softly. "Nothing means anything without you...."

The distinctive sound of a sniffle crackled through the speakers and she moved her face out of frame.

"I know what this looks like but I'm not crying." she told me.

"Awww, Nessie... Baby I’m sorry, don’t cry... the only thing worse than not being with you is knowing I made you cry....." I said.

"And what about you?" she said. "Making you cry should be illegal."

“I’m sorry, let's both dry our eyes, tell me about your day.... it's late there, isn't it?" I asked.

It was 9 AM here, they must be nearing the end of their shift by now.

"Eh it's only 2AM it's not that late." she said simply. "Jen and I delivered a set of twins today."

"Awww, how cute, I know how mcuh you love deliveries." I smiled.

"Yeah I do." she beamed as she rolled over onto her tummy. "Oh my gosh Luke they were so squishy and soft and perfect......my boss was joking around and said that Jen and I were getting so good at delivering that we'd be able to deliver our own babies one day."

"Yeah babies... someday babe, but like you said, being a midwife is the best contraceptive." I chuckled.

"This is true my beautiful man. Oh! And Reece is coming to visit Jeny, so we'll be meeting with them right after work for a quick breakfast." she grinned.

“You're meeting up with Reece?" I asked her, my voice lowering a couple of octaves.

"Me AND Jeny...... relax Lucas...." she warned gently. "I love YOU; no one else and HE loves RHIANNON." 

I mumbled some un-intelligent words under my breath and dug my hand through the Nandos bag that I'd been picking at; which sadly was now empty. 

"Luke Robert..... please stop. Don't you trust me?" she asked. 

"Of course I trust you; but with a face as gorgeous as yours what guy WOULDN'T flirt and go after you?" I said.

"Awww babe, you're so sweet, but Reece has no interest in anyone but Rhiannon." she smiled. I huffed dramatically and folded my legs Indian style. "I guess so....but maybe I should come home just to make sure?"

"You just want an excuse to come home don't you?" Nessie giggled.

"Well maybe a little." I smiled.

"Awww baby, just try and relax. I love you it's only a couple of months." she tried to reason, but was she trying to convince me or herself?

"Is that what you're telling yourself to get through it?" I said in a gentle tone.