Beside You: Chapter 7

Vanessa's POV

Jeny and I were sitting in a mess of tears... Felicia sat there holding her lifeless little girl..... Stillborn..... we were both in shock.... she'd been so careful.

"You promised me." She sobbed. "You ensured me she was just sleeping. I trusted you."

"Sweetie she was! I heard her heartbeat, this happened during delivery. Her cord... it was around her neck, we tried." I cried.

"Not hard enough!" She screeched through her tears. "I told you my deepest personal secrets about why I was scared and you said to my face it wouldn't happen again!"

"Nessie, I think we should step out," Jeny said. "Come on..."

"GET OUT! GET OUT!" Felicia shouted. Her swearing and shouting followed us out of the room and all the way down to the staff break area. By the time we got htere, I was an hysterial mess.

"I should have done something more to help her! This should never have happened!"

"Vanessa this happens to MORE than just her.... these things happen. There was NOTHING we could have done." she said.

"Then why do I feel so responsible?" I blubbered idiotically.

"Because you are an incredible woman.... and hormonal...... you're pregnant... you need to calm down... Come on let's go check on your baby...." she said, before leading me to a quiet room and getting me laid back on a bed, then getting out the heartbeat ultrasound machine, and began performing a check. Thumpthumpthumpthump.

"Oh my gosh Nessie, listen... quick call Luke! Let him hear!" she smiled.

"Right....Luke.....Boyfriend." I rambled, feeling completely and totally mezmerised by that heartbeat.

She chuckled and took my phone and facetime him for me and handed it back.

"Hey babe what's... oh my gosh what is that?" he asked.

"That would be the heartbeat of your unborn child growing in her tummy." Jeny answered for me.

"Oh my god.... oh my gosh Nessie listen to that... thats OUR baby!" he said excitedly.

"I know baby.... I know.. it's beautiful...." I cooed.

"And it all sounds very healthy, nice and strong." Jeny commented as she moved the monitor around. "Not bad for a 9-10 week old fetus."

"9 to ten weeks.. are you sure?" I asked

"Positive, honey you're talking to a trained midwife here." she said. "You're probably due about January 6th."

"Oh so around Zayn's birthday." I said with a slight laugh.

"Yeah and hopefully I'll be home by your 4 month scan 'cause I have the break in July." chirped Luke.

"Hopefully, and we can always wait love.... until you're home." I smiled.

"Just no birthday celebrations when he comes home, you could end up with twins." smirked Jen.

"Oh my god stop it!" I blushed.

"Why should I? It's my job as your best friend and your midwife to embarrass the shit out of you." she said.

"Yeah well blech..." I chuckled.

"Baby I have to go, give my baby lovin for me... he or she sounds very strong..." Luke said, suddenly. "I love you!" then he hung up.

"Heeeeeyyyy come baaaaack I want your face baaaaaaack." I pouted.

"Awww Nessie, he had to go be a rock star..." she said.