26. Protection

I wake up to a pounding headache.
"And this is why I don't drink" I mumble rubbing my head as the door knocks.

"Come in" I say as carl opens up.
"Hey, just making sure your okay. Michonne said you hadn't left yet" he says walking in.
"Yeah just had a drink with Jesse... heads killing" I mumble the last bit.

"Can we talk?" He asks nearly a whisper.
"Sure what's up kiddo?" I ask and as he sits on my bed.
"I Don't remember mom very well and I don't want to ask dad. All I remember is when I put a bullet in her and I don't like it" he says and I sigh sitting up.
"Well your mom was bright. Happy unless you got on her bad side, luckily i kept my distance till we went looking for security in each other... her for you and your sister and me for my past. She was one of my best friends which was a tad awkward considering Rick decided to be my substitute dad somtimes" I joke and he laughs.
"Yeah your like a sister" he says smiling.
"Dam. I'm that annoying?" I joke.

"A few days before mom passed... she gave me this" he whispers fulling out the piece of cloth I used to tie mine and his hands together years ago at the farm.
"Wow this is a relic" I joke taking it in my hands.
"She said: when times are dark, seek your light" he quotes.

"What did she mean?" He continues.
"Oh boy. Well I'm not sure, that's a riddle I havnt had time to ponder but this is the cloth that I used to tie our hands together at the farm. I was awkward, when it came to touch so I used this and you spent the rest of the day dragging me around" I explain and he smiles.
"Everything sounds so much simpler then" he mumbles.
"It was. We barely lost anyone then. Well Otis and whoever was in your group before that but back then it was easier" I say looking down.
"Well I should get to work if I'm already late. Deannas gonna kill me" I say jumping up and grabbing some cloths.
"Cya later Carl" I say walking out to go change.

I make my way down the streets with my bow in hand.
I get some odd glances from the neighbours as them whisper stuff to each other.

"Their talking about you" Liam says walking up.
"Me? Why me? I didn't beat the shit out of jesses man" I ask.
"Someone spread rumours that your dangerous and untameable. Naturally like the sheep they are, they listened" he comments walking by my side.
"And what's the rumour?" I ask and he shrugs before answering.
"From what I heard it's got something to do with you killing people" he says and I laugh.
"They wouldn't be wrong. Their that camouflaged that they don't know what's happened out their... give me a single day with each one of them outside the wall and they will understand why our group is uptight and threatening" I say.
"I know" he chuckles.

"Alright I guess I'll see you later" I laugh opening the gate.
"Stay safe. Oh and rose sent her love" he says closing the gate.
"Thanks, stay safe Liam" I say waving as I start my rounds.

This time I decided to do my rounds so I'm slightly in the forest instead of sticking to the side of the fence.
Not many walkers have a gathered today which is good. Gave me time to think until I notice something new.
I small cabin just to the side.

"Probably already been looted" I mumble as I continue to walk.
But seconds later I stop in my tracks at the sound of a dog barking.
"They wouldn't leave a dog would they?" I ask myself.
"May as well go see" I sigh walking over to the cabin.

Slowly I open the door with my bow ready and loaded.
The dog starts barking madly as I walk in but stays where he is on the ground.
I glance around noticing the skeleton of a body that's been torn to shreds and a couple cans of food.

"Jackpot" I mumble putting the food in my backpack as the dog jumps up.
"It's okay" I whisper putting my hand out.
He gently sniffs me for a minute before returning to his space on the ground.
"Their we go. Maybe I found lucky a friend" I say smiling as I go back to sorting out the food.
I hear a soft whine next to me as the dog licks out a dry bowl.