50: End of the line

Our little spit of happiness soon ended and we all made our way home.
May didn't bother with the snow fight and went straight to her room while I tried to figure out how to tell Ashley what happened.
I sat her down on the sofa and she gives me a confused look.

'Have you heard of what happened at the kingdom?' I write and hand it to her.
"Yeah it's messed up" she answers handing it back to me.
'Nathan was one of the victims' I write and she reads it as I write:
'So was Liam' and tears well in her eyes.
"No, your joking right?" She asks and I shake my head as tears start to appear.
"No, no, no" she repeats before running out the house.

I sit in silence contemplating what to do with myself.
It gets to a point when I finally realise that I need someone or I'm gonna do something stupid.
I pick up my walkie and start pacing around the room before bringing it to my lips.

"D-ar-yl?" I question into it.
"Thea" he replies as I drop onto the floor next to the fire.
"Hey?" He says confused into the talkie.
"Thea, what's wrong?" He urges.
"Noth-ing s-orry for d-disturbing yo-ou" I whisper putting the walkie down and going upstairs.

I take my jacket off placing the letter I made years ago on my bedside table. I almost forgot they existed till now.
I take off my boots putting them next to the bed before going in the bathroom for a shower.

I climb out, wrapping a towel around my self and stepping out to see Daryl on the bed reading his letter.
He doesn't seem to notice me as his eyes seem glued to the page. I walk over and open the draw pulling out a big top and shorts to sleep in.

"When did ya write these?" He asks and I shrug.
"Some-time afte-r ca-arl. Figured I-I mi-ght no-t be abl-e to s-say goodb-ye" I stutter trying to keep my words straight.
I drop my towel and pull on the shorts before putting my top on and grabbing a hair brush.
I stand infront of the mirror as his eyes stay glued to my back.

"Yo-u wer-ent supposed to s-see that until a-after I pass-ed" I explain brushing out my hair.
I watch him bow his head looking back at the paper as I grab my knife and walk into the bathroom.

Daryl jumps up and follows me urgently before noticing that I'm just trying to cut my hair short again.
"Here. Ya gonna stab yourself" he says taking the knife and cutting my hair to the length it was before.

"T-thanks" I whisper.
"Carol did mine" he informs me and I smile.
"I-I noticed" I whisper turning around and brushing his hair back with my hand.
"I tried to do it but you-u didn't un-derstand what I was s-saying" I say and he smirks.
"I'm so happy I can hear your voice again" he says pulling me into a hug.

"So-o am I-I thin-nk" I whisper.
"You think?" He urges me to continue.
"I went quiet be-ecause of the p-promises. Everyone makes m-me promi-se but I always fail and th-en their gone" I whimper putting my head on his chest.
"Shhh, it's okay. I'm not leaving your side again" he grumbles.

"I-I need to p-put natha-n to rest" I stutter looking down.
"I know, we can go tomorrow-" he says and I shake my head.
"Th-ey need y-ou to help plan" I stutter.
"Then we'll go some other time. Thea, I mean it. I'm not letting you go alone" he explains and I nod.

"I-I can t-take a-ash with m-me" I stutter putting my head in my hands.
"Fine, but you keep your walkie on ya" he says and I smile.
I shake my head lightly before turning and hiding myself in his chest.
"I'm sorry but I want you safe" he explains stroking my back.
"I-I under-stand" I say and he nods.
"Let's get some sleep"

I wake up earlier then everyone and turn in Daryl's arms to look at his face.
"Baby I'm goi-ng for a-a walk" I whisper. His half asleep state just grunts as I pull myself away from him.
I walk around to grab my bow as him jumps up confused.