Chapter 29: Thank God you're alive

Lexa's POV

"Hello, I'm Lexa," I introduced myself to someone. It's Thanksgiving and there's so many people here. The Woods must be a pretty big family. It feels so weird to think I'm a part of this family.

"Hey, I'm Bob. I guess I'm your uncle. Carter is my brother," the man explains. I nod my head, and he seems to get the idea that I'm not much of a talker.

The next hour or two is just people mingling and catching up as well as people getting to know me. I feel out of place, but I don't want to be rude. I've just got to keep a level head. It's only been three hours since Clarke left, and I already feel like I'm losing my mind. We'll be eating dinner soon seeing as it's already 6 in the evening. I'm so ready for this day to be over so I can pick Clarke up and be with her again. God, I sound so clingy. 

"how's everyone treating you?" Carter asks me while we're waiting for the table to be set.

"Everyone seems nice. I'm just not a very social person," I shrug. 

"Fair enough. How are you feeling? You're welcome to run away to your room after we eat. We get this must be strange for you," she announces.

"I appreciate the offer. I'll definitely think about it," I smile at him. 

"Dinner is ready everyone! Get your seats," Anya announces from the kitchen. 

"C'mon. I'll show you where you sit," Carter smiles and offers me his hand. I gladly accept and follow him. I end up being seated next to Carter and Aden with Luna opposite of me. I was glad they surrounded me with people I know. I don't know what I would've done if I had to sit with someone I didn't know. 

We all start digging in, and it's the picture perfect Thanksgiving dinner. People are passing food around the table, and everyone is discussing what's been going on in their lives. I learn that one of the family members is a model who got a job in the UK, and someone else got a new teaching job. It was interesting to hear about what's going on in everyone's lives.

I'm about halfway through my meal when I see a look of horror flash on Luna's face when she looks at her phone. "Luna! Get off your phone," Anya scolds. 

Luna looks at me, and she looks... apologetic? Why? "Luna! Phone away! We're eating."

"Can we be excused?" Luna asks while pointing to me and herself. Why me? What the hell is going on?

"Luna, we're in the middle of a family meal. You may not leave," she says in a stern tone.

"Mom! It's important!" Luna argues.

Anya gives her the meanest looking 'stop arguing in front of me with family around' look I've ever seen. "Luna, listen to your mother and stop making a scene," Carter steps in. 

"Someone's in the hospital!" she shouts and gives me a look. Is she trying to say Clarke's in the hospital? What the hell happened? I just saw her four hours ago.

"Who?" Anya asks in a softer tone. 

"Clarke," Luna mumbles. 

Anya and Carter's eyes widen before Anya says, "Fine. Go. Let me know if she's okay." 

I get up as soon as those words leave her mouth, and I look at her and mouth 'thank you'. She smiles and nods while Luna and I run out the door. "What the hell happened?" I hiss once we're in her car. 

"I don't know. Raven just texted me that Clarke's in the hospital. She told me to tell you because she assumed Clarke would want you there. When I asked what happened she said she'd tell me when we got there," Luna explains while she starts driving. She must've noticed the look on my face because she adds, "I'm sure it's nothing serious, and even if it is, that girl's been through a lot. I'm sure she'll be fine." She flashes me a sad smile, and I calm down a little.