Chapter 22: Just a Friend?

Lexa's POV

I laughed with Clarke before we returned to our friends. I saw Raven and Octavia give Clarke a knowing look, and I couldn't help but smile at their antics. I saw Luna was also giving me a look which caused me to visibly turn red. 

Clarke was talking with her friends, but all I could think about was how I had opened up to Clarke so easily. I had NEVER told anyone about my past, let alone someone I had only known for 3 months. Somehow, however, it felt right. It was a weird feeling. Something about Clarke screamed 'you can trust me' and maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't mind opening up, or maybe it was the fact that she had trusted me so much after her incident. If I was being honest, it felt like I had known her for years instead of months.

"Lexa?" Luna asked hesitantly.

"Yes?" I reply while coming out of my thoughts.

"You seemed like you were in your own word," Luna states simply.

"I kinda was, but it's okay. I was just thinking," I let them know.

"Lexa... Thinks?" Clarke said while smiling at me with an adorable, dopey smile that just screamed happiness. I loved that about her. She's been through hell and back, much like me, and yet she's still able to smile like that even if it's fake. 

I smile back at her and punch her arm playfully. "Yes, I think thank you very much," I say with faux offense.

Everyone laughs and we all continue to talk quietly, and occasionally Raven, Octavia, and Clarke sing along with the songs. They even went onto the dance floor together and danced like there was no one else in the world. It was so simple and carefree. I smiled at them because somehow, from across the room, they could still light up your world.

"Wow, I've said it once and I'll say it again. You're whipped," Luna teased.

"Whatever," I roll my eyes.

"What do you see in her?" Luna asks, but when she sees me death glaring her, she adds, "I mean, she's attractive obviously, but I can tell what you have for her is deeper than that."

I nod in understanding before I answer, "It's hard to explain, but I guess it has a lot to do with her always being there for me. We haven't known each other long, but I know that if I'm having a bad day, she'll drop everything to make sure I'm okay. Plus, we both trust each other a lot, and we've been through so much already, individually and together. Not to seem cheesy, but I think we bring out the best in each other."

"You both do seem extra smiley since the party," Luna nods subtly in agreement and understanding. 

After that, the girls start to make their way back to use. Clarke smiles when she sees me which, of course, makes me smile in response. I can see Raven and Octavia making gagging noises behind her which makes me laugh. 

I look at Clarke who has just been hugging me this whole time. I thought it was sweet and innocent the way she holds onto me every time she sees me. It's like she thinks if she lets go I'll leave. Not to mention, I love when she hugs me. It feels so perfect... Like when you put the last piece of a puzzle in, and everything seems to make sense suddenly. 

"Hey, I've gotta tell you something," Clarke says while looking me in the eyes. 

Ah, her eyes. I could get lost in them. Focus "uh, yeah. What's up?" I ask.

"I found a job," she says simply.

I smiled at her. I was glad she got a job. I was actually surprised she didn't already have one. "Really? Where?" I ask after I realize I had never questioned her further.