Chapter 15: We All Fall Down Sometimes

Lexa's POV

"C'mon Lexa. We got to go home," Aden called for me. I nodded in goodbye to Clarke and the other delinquents and followed him to the car. I got in the backseat with Aden while Luna sat in the front with Anya. Everyone was making small talk while the car drove, well, everyone except me. I was staring out the window of the car. Honestly, I couldn't tell you why I wasn't talking. It's not like I'm sad. In fact, this is the best my life has been since my parents were alive. I've got friends and a family. I guess cars just make me feel a little uncomfortable since my parents died. Yeah, that's it.

When we got to the house, I knew something was off. It was too quiet. No one else seemed to notice though. I shrugged off the feeling and went in the house. "I'm gonna go check on Carter. He wanted to talk to me when we got back anyways," I said when we entered. Everyone nodded to me, and I made my way to his study. He told me he wanted to talk to me about the adoption, so I was excited to talk to him. 

"Carter?" I asked when I opened the door slowly. No response. "Carter?" I asked again. I kept walking though the door until I saw him. He was on the floor and covered in blood. I gasped, but I made sure I didn't scream. I ran over to him and checked his pulse. It was barely there, and his breaths were shallow. "I'm gonna call 9-1-1 hang in there Carter," I said. My voice was a little shaky, but I wanted to seem strong. I thought about telling Anya, Luna, and Aden, but he meant so much to them. He was their dad/husband. To me, he was just the fancy business guy who took me in. I owed him my life, so now I was going to do everything I can to save his.

"Lexa," he whispered. It was barely audible, but I heard it. I was on the phone with 9-1-1 telling them the address and explaining what was happening to the best of my abilities. 

"Yes?" I whispered.

"If I don't make it-"

"STOP! You're gonna be fine. You have to be! For Luna and Aden! For Anya..." I yelled, but quiet enough that no one else in the house heard. The desperation in my voice was obvious, and he smiled at my efforts to hide it. 

"If I don't make it," he began again," Tell Aden and Luna I love them. Let them know I fought every second for them, and Anya. Anya... The love of my life. She'll fall apart. Help her pick up the pieces. All of them. I know it's a lot to ask, but I need you to promise you'll keep them afloat. I know you're not my biological daughter, but Lexa, I love you like one." he exhaled as he finished his statement. With how he was breathing, the odds of him making it much longer were slim.

"Don't give up now Carter. You're a good man. If it comes to it, I promise you I'll watch over them. Now please, don't give up yet. The ambulance is almost here. Breathe!" I yelled, and that time Luna heard me. She walked in the room and screamed at the sight of her father. She dropped to the floor and started sobbing. I wanted to comfort her so bad, but I was applying pressure to Carter's wounds and the second I let go he'd bleed out. 

Aden and Anya heard Luna scream, so they came upstairs and had the same reaction as Luna. I felt so helpless. A few moments later, the Paramedics arrived at the house, and I yelled that we were upstairs. One of the moved me out of the way and started helping him. I was still in too much shock to cry. I just stared at them wheeling him away. I crawled over to Luna, Aden, and Anya, and I hugged them all while they sobbed on my shoulder.

Clarke's POV

"We should celebrate!" Octavia suggested after Lexa and her family left. 

"I'm down," Raven said.

Everyone else just nodded in agreement. "Mom, I'm going out!" I yelled to her to let her know not to wait for me. She nodded and walked to her car.