Chapter 28: Homophobia and Hysteria

"Hey mom," I greeted my mom at the door. It's the morning of Thanksgiving, and I'm so ready to be surrounded by friends and family. 

"Hey baby. Your grandparents are coming this year. They've been missing you." I froze. I knew Raven, Octavia, Bellamy, and Murphy are all coming because they don't have any other family, but this year my grandparents are coming as well? Of course, I'm on edge because they're super homophobic. My mom's been pretty bad since my dad died as well, and that's why I've never told her about my bisexuality which is, also, why she thinks Lexa's "just a friend". 

It makes me upset that I can't talk to my mom about it because she's usually one of my best friends, but I just can't tell her about this stuff. She'd probably blow up, and there's no telling how far she'd take it. I know she loves me, but the way she talks about LGBTQ+ members... It's like they're not even human to her, and she's even worse when my grandparents are over.

"Raven and Octavia are waiting in your room. They got here a while ago," she informs me. I simply nod and make my way to their room.

The second I open my door, I see Octavia and Raven talking, but they stop when they see me. They look like they're about to talk, but they see the look on my face. "My grandparents are coming," I tell them simply. They've never met my grandparents, and they don't know why it's so bad. "They're homophobic, and my mom's worse around them," I add.

"Time to prepare the boyfriend story," Raven jokes to try and make light of the situation.

"Rae, I have to tell them eventually. They're my family, and they deserve to know. I don't plan on telling them today, but someday they'll have to know. I can't lie forever. I'll go insane," I inform her.

"I know what you mean. Well, kind of. Abby's like a mom to me. You know that. How do you think she'll feel when she finds out both her 'daughters' are bisexual? We can tell her together if it'll make you feel better," Raven tries to reassure me.

"If we tell her she'll kick us out, and you have no where else to go. Do you?" I ask.

"You can stay at my house," Octavia offers and then adds, "or you could probably stay at the Woods mansion. I'm sure they wouldn't care."

Raven and I nod. "Maybe I should just tell her today. I mean, get it out of the way. She's going to be worse with my grandparents here, but they have to know eventually too. Plus, if she kicks me out I'll just move in with O or Lexa and that's a win-win," I think out loud.

"It's your decision Clarke. I'll support you whatever you chose," Raven says. 

(A/N: I just want to say I know it's not this easy to come out as someone who is bisexual and who has come out. I was lucky enough to have supportive parents, but I know not everyone has that experience. I just want to say, I'm sorry if I offend anyone by doing this so soon/writing it wrong. I'm just doing this for fun, and sharing it because I enjoy doing that. If you don't like my writing, you don't have to read it)

"Thanks Rae, and I'm not asking you to come out as well. You don't have to do it whenever I do," I let her know. 

"I need to tell her eventually, and she's gonna be ad no matter what. We may as well let her know together. There's no point in getting her riled up twice," Raven says. 

I smile in thanks, and Octavia pulls us in for a group hug. We stay like that until the doorbell rings. At least there's one good thing that comes out of my grandparents coming, I get to see my little cousin Madi. I don't see her much because she lives with my grandparents, but I know she hates it there. She's 13 and has always been open minded and accepting, and I know that's one of the reasons she hates living with my grandparents, but she doesn't have a choice. Her parents died when she was young, and my mom didn't want to take her in she didn't have the time to take care of both of us.