Chapter 16: "Don't be Afraid"

When Clarke and Raven came back into the room they immediately sat down again like nothing happened. Raven and Luna started talking about what the police officer said, but Clarke just sat down and sighed. 

"What's up?" I asked her.

"Oh, it's nothing. How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine now, really. Knowing he's alive and well is good."

"Are you hungry? I can get you guys something?" Clarke asked loud enough so everyone in the room could hear. Everyone nodded and Raven offered to help her. 

I smiled as I saw them leave the room. I always knew Clarke was kind and selfless, but this was just more proof. Aden picked up on it and moved to sit next to me. "You really like her. don't you?" he asked.

I could tell I blushed as much as I tried to hide it. I just looked at him and nodded with a smile. He gave me a hug, and it was like he was saying, 'thanks for everything.' without actually talking. When finally pulled away, I smiled at him, and he tilted his head to the door because Clarke and Raven were back. They didn't know what everyone liked, so that got a good variety and put it on a table for everyone to chose from. Raven grabbed an apple, but Clarke sat down without grabbing anything. I grabbed a blueberry muffin and took my seat again.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked her again. She was acting off. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just not hungry. I'm just thinking a lot is all."

"Okay. You know you can talk to me if you need to right? Don't be afraid."

She smiled and nodded in understanding and then she put her head on my shoulder. I froze for a second because I wasn't expecting it, but I quickly melted into the feeling and relaxed. Before I knew it, we were both sleeping. 

I woke up suddenly to the sound of a beeping machine. Clarke also woke up because of my sudden movements. Her mom was a doctor at a different hospital so she knew what was going on. She ran out the door and yelled, "He's crashing!"

After that, everyone started waking up while nurses and doctors were rushing to get everyone out of the room. Once we got out, I broke down in Clarke's arms. She dropped against the wall, and she pulled me down with her. We were now positioned so I was sitting between her legs and her chin was resting on my shoulder, so she could talk to me. "Don't be afraid," she said simply. Hearing the words come out of her mouth suddenly made me feel less scared. Knowing that no matter what happened, she'd be there. It felt... safe. I started sobbing uncontrollably, and I turned my body so I was facing her. I was now practically laying on top of her with my head buried in her shirt. She didn't seem to mind though because all she did was stroke my back and whisper assurances to me. "It's okay to fall a part a little," she whispered, "we all do."

I nodded into her chest and wrapped my arms around her neck. She just stayed like that, stroking my back and whispering to me until I eventually drifted off to sleep. It felt good... right even to fall asleep in Clarke's arms. Something about it just made sense.

Clarke's POV

I looked down at Lexa because I felt her breathing even out. I knew she had fallen asleep, and all I could do was smile at the fragile looking girl. Everyone saw her as a tough, emotionless girl, but I knew she was so, so, so much more than that. I looked up and saw Raven smirking at me. I flipped her off, but she just laughed.

"You won't be laughing when I come over there and beat your ass," I joked.

"You wouldn't!" Raven faked being offended.

"Why not?" I asked teasingly.

She just glanced at Lexa and then back at me. "Wouldn't want to wake sleeping beauty would we?" she teased.