Chapter 57 - Not All Surprises Are Sweet

I wake up to an almost empty house. My brothers and Abbo have left before dawn to go on a fishing trip with Josh and his dad. It is a guy's trip, which I am completely fine with. I think Gram is relieved too.

Since it is just the two of us, Gram planned for us to spend the day doing my favorite activity, that isn't dance. We were going shopping.

I should point out, shopping with Gram is a very different experience than shopping with my mom. Gram is drawn to everything that is bright, flashy and, strangely enough, very revealing. Case in point, the sparkly teal bikini she gave me when I first arrived on the island. Mom on the other hand, has a more conservative taste, which is definitely more in line with my own personal style.

I spend the majority of our shopping excursion in Kingsmet trying to convince Gram that the various items she is showing me are either too short or lack enough fabric for my comfort. She keeps telling me that if she looked like me, she would be wearing the shortest skirts and barely there crop tops. I just roll my eyes.

Of course, not all of the items she picks are bad. There is one dress, a little red number, that we both agree is gorgeous. I am so drawn to the cherry colored party dress with sweetheart neckline and thin spaghetti straps that I don't protest when she suggests that I try it on. I happily oblige Gram's request for a quick fashion show.

The dress fits like a glove. The a-line skirt is made of layers of chiffon and falls just above my knees. I can't help but twirl in the mirror as I admire myself. When I show Gram, she smiles and says that "it's perfect."

I'm not surprised that she offers to buy it. She had been dying all day to get me something. I would've let her buy it for me, without hesitation, however, it seemed a bit pricey for a dress I didn't need.

"Gram, where would I wear a dress like this?" I ask.

"Winter formal? Prom? A date with Josh? I don't know. Whoever heard of buying something for a specific occasion? There's no fun in that. I say buy whatever you like whenever you want and then when that special event comes up you have the luxury to choose between multiple gorgeous frocks! And besides, you're only young once," she answers enthusiastically.

"Yeah, but I don't think I'll ever wear it back home. Not unless I paired it with tights. The nights are far too cold" I state.

"Uh, don't get me started on New England and the cold. I don't know why anyone would want to live up there by choice," she states.

"You did live up there, at one point," I say.

"Yes, Mila, because we wanted to be near you and your brothers. But you see, we didn't last long. We left as soon as we found this villa. It's too cold up north. I hate the winters and being all bundled up. I don't know how you do it. When I was a girl growing up in Savannah, I was able to wear the cutest dresses all year long. And I didn't ever dare pair them with turtlenecks and tights," she says, as she crinkles her face in mock disgust.

"We never covered our arms and legs. No, the dresses I wore showed off all of your Gram's curves," she says, as she wriggles her hips. The action makes me laugh.

"The cold isn't that bad," I state.

"Ha! You say that now. Give it a few years, you'll be singing a different tune, trust me! So will you let me buy you the dress? I won't take no for an answer," Gram states forcefully. I don't doubt her.

"Fine," I reply reluctantly, as I roll my eyes and smile. I'm secretly excited that the red frock will be mine.

"And watch, you'll find an occasion to wear this dress. Then you'll be thanking me like there is no tomorrow," she says with a huge smile.