Chapter 5 - Spotted

"This is where the kids will be staying." Gram says as she opens the glass paneled door of the structure next to the "main house." "They have the whole building to themselves" Abbo points out. I am not sure how my parents feel about this. To be honest, I don't know how I feel about this. Being so far away from adult supervision seems so foreign to me and slightly scary. But also a tiny bit exciting. I hope they don't freak out, I think to myself.

On the other side of the glass door we stand in a short hallway that is submerged in the shadowy afternoon light. The white walls stand out against the dark wooden floor. On the left side of the hallway are three evenly spaced doors. On the right side of the hall are six large windows that let in streaks of warm light from the front courtyard. I notice that old photographs line the halls. I begin to take a step closer to examine one of the framed images when I am called to continue with the tour.

"This will be Justin and Matty's room." Gram says as soon as we enter a large ice blue bedroom. It has a nautical theme, that I know Matty will love (not so sure about Justin). I take in the room and all of the furnishings. There are two twin sized beds with white and navy striped bedding. A tiny desk and two book shelves filled with books, board games and binoculars. The walls are adorned with framed vintage maps and old paintings of sailboats and ships. Glass doors let in an abundance of natural light.

Something outside catches my eye and I begin to step forward toward the french doors. The nautical room opens onto a balcony that seems to be magically suspended over the blue ocean below. I open the door and step outside, letting a cool breeze sweep over me. I find the large dark shape I had spotted moments ago from inside. I squint my eyes to get a better view. I realize then what it is.

it's a large wooden ship docked in the bay below. I am not used to seeing such things and the sight of the boat is truly breathtaking. I think that I see something move slightly on the ship's deck. I quickly go back inside and retrieve the binoculars from the bookshelf. Back on the sunlit balcony, with binoculars in hand, I take a few steps forward and touch the metal railing. The sun feels good on my skin. I raise the binoculars to my eyes and look through, not knowing what I will see. I scan the bay quickly not want my gaze to linger on the sight of the ocean. Thankfully I find the large pirate looking ship right away. I stare.

I see the movement again. It looks like a person. A boy with tan skin. He is wearing a red bandana rolled up around his head that keeps his dark brown locks off of his forehead. I can't tell his age but he doesn't seem much older than me or Justin. He sits down on the deck of the ship and begins to scribble in a notebook. I stand there, just staring at him, wondering who he is and why he is there on that boat. I am curious about his story and brought him to this island or maybe he has never lived anywhere else.

Suddenly, without any warning, he puts the notebook down and looks up in my direction. My eyes bulge. Is it me he is gazing at? Surely he can't see me from way down there.. or can he? My heart begins to race, but for some reason unbeknownst to me, I keep staring. And so does he.

After a few moments of me wondering if I indeed am the reason for his gaze, my answer came. He smiles and begins to wave at me.

I am embarrassed and can't believe that I am caught staring at him. I feel my cheeks turn a crimson color instantly. I finally lower the binoculars from my eyes and quickly take a step backward toward the house. Even with the distance between us, I can tell that he is still looking at me. I take another step backward and unknowingly run into something hard (the door? I am not sure). This startles me and causes me to jump up with a slight fright. Without thinking I let out a high-pitched scream. Two hands grab my shoulders and hold me still. I quickly turn to see who is there.

"Are you okay, Mila?" Abbo asks.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I say as I turn back to look at the ship in the bay, and to see if the boy is still there. Even without the binoculars, I can tell that he is. I bring the binoculars up and take one final look. I have to know if he is still staring this way, in my direction... at me. My fears were confirmed... not only is he still gazing up at me, but now he is also laughing too.