Chapter 81 - Heaven on Sea. Hell on Land.

I don't know what it was.

The fresh sea air, seeing Josh so exuberantly happy as we dined under the starry night while sitting on the deck of La Isla Nina, or maybe the delicious cake he baked just for me? Whatever it was, it had transformed me. I was completely and utterly floating in space. I felt so loved and lucky to have Josh in my life. I loved him. He was everything I ever could have asked for in a boyfriend and best friend. What more could I need or want?

I am in love. I never in a million years could have ever dreamed of experiencing such emotions in all my life. Josh is everything I could have ever hoped for. He's kind and compassionate. And makes me feel safe in his arms. I know nothing could ever happen to me when he is near.

Because of him I began to believe, and not just in myself but in life in general. He is magic and the purest of kind. He gave me the best gift anyone could ever given me and that was the ability to see. To view the magic of life. He was such a positive soul and his body continuously emitted positive rays of happiness and optimism. If it weren't for him I would never have thought that fairy tales were true.

He gave me the chance to discover the mystery of the island and allowed me to have my own theories. And through his optimism he is beginning to believe what I believe in my heart.

All of these thoughts are rushing through my head as I walk down the steps from the car port, where Josh's Jeep is idling. When I reach the bottom step, I turn back and wave.

Our eyes lock in an intense stare.

His car door opens and my feet begin to move. Before I know it, I am halfway up the steps and wrapped ever so tightly in his bronzed arms. He loosens his grasp around me and then holds my cheeks in his soft hands. We stand there, inches apart, staring at each other. I can feel his breath on my skin.

He closes his eyes and kisses my forehead delicately. It's the sweetest gesture. I know behind that simple act, all of the love and devotion he feels for me. I am lost. Lost in his presence. Lost in my strong emotions and feelings for him.

"Mila, you know that I love you, right?" Josh whispers into my ear barely audible.

"I know," I reply.

"I do. I love you with every fiber of my body. I never thought I was going to ever feel this way about a girl. I never wanted to, because look where love got my parents. But I just couldn't stay away from you. I had to get to know you. Even before we met, I liked you. I was curious about your life and who you were. And then when we finally did meet, I was intrigued. I have never met a girl like you before. You just have a way about you that drives me crazy," he stated.

I make a face. I drive him crazy? I think to myself.

"In a good way of course. I love you. I don't know what I am going to do when the summer is over because I've been so spoiled, getting to see you almost every day. Even when I have to work and am kept from you I still find myself sitting up on deck staring at your window, missing you, wondering what you're doing, wishing I was there, wherever you are," he explains.

He bends down and our lips touch. I feel my whole body tingle with excitement. As his tongue parts my lightly glossed lips, and makes its way into my mouth, I feel the sincerity of his words sink in. A moment later all thoughts on the subject are lost as we continue to kiss.

I don't know how long our tongues danced as we embraced beneath the starry night. But eventually our kiss ends and I glide back down the stairs. I pop my head into the living room to tell Gram I am home, and then make my way to my room. I think I hear Gram say something to me as I close the door, but I'm not sure and don't care. All I can think about is Josh. I am in love and nothing can dampen my mood.