Chapter 83 - Truth & Honesty (Lies & Deceit)

As I climb the steps leading from my grandparents' villa to the street, my heart beats feverishly with excitement. Thoughts of what Sabra might tell me penetrate my mind. I don't know what to expect, but the help she is offering is definitely welcomed. I know that I will have to be a big girl and apologize for the cruel things that I said to her, which I'm not looking forward to.

I walk at a brisk pace and before I know it I am standing outside of Peggy's home. Her house is very different from my grandparents. For one, there are no stairs leading down to a hidden property constructed on the side of a hill. Lush and overwhelmingly overgrown vegetation make the structure barely visible from the street. The outside is like a jungle with tropical plants, enormous fruit trees, bright flowers and winding vines everywhere. I make my way through the curved paved pathway and then find myself standing on the porch of a house made entirely from dark coral rock. It was an interesting building material, but definitely common on the island. I take a deep breath and am about to knock on the bright blue door, when it suddenly opens.

"Hello Mila, I've been waiting for you," Sabra says, with a slight smile across her face.

"How'd you know I'd come?" I ask.

"I told you, I see things. I know things."

"You knew I would come here today?" I inquire.

"Yes," she replies simply.

"What else do you know?" I question.

"Let's take it slowly. Come in, please. There is much to talk about," she says as she ushers me inside.

I follow her into the house. She leads me to a sitting room in the back of the house. The view from this spot is incredible. It looks out onto the whole bay and to the left, the ocean. I notice La Isla Nina and instantly wonder what Josh is doing. I know he won't be too happy with me when I tell him I came here to Peggy's house.

"Please, sit," she instructs.

I sit on the rose colored sofa, directly across from where she has sat down in a green wickered armchair. I take in my surroundings and do my best to soak it all in. I'd never seen so many hues and contrasting patterns before. Every piece of furniture in the room is a different bright vibrant color. Bold patterns are everywhere. Nothing matches, yet it all seems to flow together effortlessly. I secretly love the space. It feels so carefree.

I notice her watching me intently. I instantly become nervous. I need to apologize for the things I said to her the other night, but I can't seem to find the right words.

"Mila, don't worry about it," Sabra finally says.

"Excuse me?" I answer, not understanding her statement.

"I know that you're sorry... about how you acted last night. Nothing to worry about, I know you didn't mean anything. You were caught up in the moment and I forgive you."

I couldn't believe she knew. "How..." I start to ask, but she cuts me off.

"I told you. I know things," she says with a slight smile. "Like, all about the Davenports," she adds.

"Why don't you like them?" I blurt out.

"It's complicated. They're good friends with members of the Kahmuni. I don't know if you know this, but the Kahmuni and the Melleiro do not exactly get along."

"I've heard that, but I don't know why that is exactly," I state.

"It comes down to magic. They partake in an energy based fundamental practice. Meaning they draw their power from energy sources. That can be anything from lightning, the sun, moon and stars to life itself. It all depends. They do deny the last bit though. The Melleiro use an earth based form of magic, which is the purest kind. We know what they say about us. They like to tell others that we use life to harbor our strength. Yes, do we use life, we use the earth and nature. We do not do what they say, nor have we ever or will we ever."