Chapter 96 - The Truth About the Mooreaya

We made it. We are actually on the shores of the magical Cerulean Bay. The tranquil beauty and the serenity that this tropical oasis possesses grants us refuge from the terror we just encountered in the jungle. It is quiet here and calm. The only sounds are that of the gentle water. Silently we stare back at the trees, as we wait for whatever was following us to make its presence known. My heart is racing as I fear what might emerge from the depths of the jungle at any moment. We wait and listen. Nothing. Silence is everywhere.

"I think we're safe," Josh says finally.

We turn and divert our attention from the trees and focus on the magnificent sight before us. The calm cerulean water that kisses the sand as it laps onto the shore. The water is all different shades of indigo and aqua. A constant flow of perfection as it changes hues throughout the bay. It beckons us. I feel it. The need to look and drink in the oceanic scene. The power of the water is almost too much. I can't look away, but I know that I must. I can't risk it. But it's so hard to shift my gaze.

"Smile," Josh says, wrapping his arm around me, instantly waking me from the water induced trance. I grin and focus my attention on his cell phone, as he begins to snap photos of us, so we can always remember this moment and this beautiful place. And the journey it took to get here.

My eyes scan the perimeter, careful not to gaze back towards the water. I have never beheld such beauty or splendor. It is hard to believe that this bay is real. It feels like a dream. A place too pure and untouched to ever exist in our world. Knowing that Josh and I are only a handful of humans to ever visit this island is miraculous and makes me feel so lucky to be standing here.

All of a sudden we hear a loud howl coming from the jungle where we just were. We freeze on the beach as the sound echoes throughout the bay. The leaves in the trees start to rustle. A flock of birds emerge and take flight high into the sky. I can't help but feel as though they are fleeing. Trying to get away from some sort of threat. A pounding begins to erupt in my chest.

"We need to hurry," Josh says quickly, as he pulls out the jars from his backpack. "I'll fill them, you stand look out."

"What if I see something? What am I to do? Maybe I should fill them?" I reply.

"I'm the one with the serum in his body, right? It makes more sense for me to do it."

"Okay, but hurry." I stand on the beach several feet behind Josh, scanning the trees that border the length of the beach.

Another growl echoes through the bay, paralyzing me on the sand. I can't tell what is making the animalistic sound, but I am terrified. It bellows again. Closer this time and it seems to be coming from the far end of the beach.

I turn to my left and squint my eyes straining to try and catch a glimpse of something, anything. The leaves on the trees begin moving, sending a burst of panic throughout my body. My heart is pounding out of my chest. I wish Josh would hurry up!

Just then a man appears from the depths of the lush vegetation. He wears nothing but a grass skirt and red paint across his bare chest. His skin is tan and his blonde hair is worn in long loose waves. He must be one of the Mooreaya.

My heart settles to a normal rate and my nerves begin to calm down as I realize he means us no harm. We are safe now.

The trees near where this man just emerged, begin to rustle and several more tribesmen appear. Only these men are carrying what appear to be spears. They keep emerging. More and more of them. All blonde and dressed in the same skirted fashion. Twenty, forty, sixty of them. I lose count there are so many. Men women, children. All lined up near the trees, staring at us.