Chapter 95 - Cerulean Found

Josh and I stand on the deck of the boat staring out at the island in front of us. Mennakenna is magnificent. Crystal clear aqua waters surround the massive undeveloped island. Pearl white sand kisses the sea where the water meets the land. A lush tropical green landscape encompasses the scene beyond the pristine beach.

The engine stops. "So, I'm thinking we'll anchor here. We're close enough to the shore we should be able to walk. The water looks shallow enough. After dropping anchor, I'm going to jump in and secure the boat to a tree," he says.

"Okay," I say as I begin to gather our things. "I'll bring the journal. The map is in there and we'll need that. Oh, and let me grab that extra mason jar and lid. We definitely will be needing that."

"Good thinking. I have some food in my bag in case we get hungry and some other things. A flair gun, towel, machete, first aid kit, rope, gloves, bug spray," he says, as he slings his backpack over his shoulders.

"A machete? Are you serious? Why do we need that?" I question.

"You never know! I thought it might come in handy."

"I guess," I reply, not really understanding the need for it.

We walk to the edge of the boat and then he turns and faces me. His face is serious. "Mila, remember not to make eye contact with the Merrin or anything in the sea. If you see a head or a figure turn the other way," he says. His voice is etched with concern and authority.

"Don't worry, I won't make eye contact. You on the other hand, can look all you want."

"I won't though. I don't know what they actually shot me with, you know? That serum could be anything! Who's to say that it actually works? Or would even protect against a catalyst? I'd rather play it safe."

"True," I say, even though I believe that the tonic is real and will protect him.

"Ready?" He asks.

"Yes."

He climbs over the ledge and lowers himself into the water. "It's not deep, look, I'm standing," he assures me. The water hits just above his stomach. I watch as he makes his way to the beach and ties the white rope that is tethered to the boat, around a large coconut palm tree.

I can do this. I can do this, I repeat in my head as Josh makes his way back to me. I hold my crossbody bag close to my chest, not wanting it to get wet. "Do I need to keep wearing the life vest?" I ask.

"Only until we get to the shore... promise."

I take a deep breath and I climb over the ledge and hold onto the small boat tightly. My heart rate begins to speed up. I bring my left leg down into the blue water. It feels warm to the touch. Josh is right below me and places his hands around my waist.

"I've got you," he says, as he lowers my body into the ocean. I lift my bag over my head, to keep it from getting submerged.

My feet find the sandy bottom and I am able to stand up. The water hits the middle of my chest. Not so bad, I think to myself.

My heart rate begins to even out as I realize how incredibly easy this all is. He takes my hand in his and we walk the short distance to the sandy shore. True to his word, he helps me remove my life vest and secures it to the same tree that the boat is tied to.

Velvety smooth is the sand under my feet. I kneel down and grab a handful of the fine powder. It is softer than anything I've ever felt.

"Wow," I say silently.

"This is incredible. I've been all over the Caribbean and can honestly say that I've never seen an island quiet as beautiful as this. I mean look at this beach... it's like heaven on earth."