Chapter 4 - Other Side

The Island of Jaluka is unlike anything that I have ever seen before. The colors that paint the landscape are so bright and so bold. The thousands of pictures and movies I have seen of various tropical locations hardly come close to the beauty that I am seeing outside the window of my grandparent's midnight blue SUV. I now know why they decided to move here. It truly is like how they described it... You really feel as though you are on the side of the world. Hundreds and thousands of miles away from it all.

There are green mountains and lush vegetation everywhere. The road we drive along twists and turns with the natural curvature of the mountains. Up we go, over the hills. We quickly take in the down island views before descending the hilltop, swaying with the organic curve of the road. We repeat this same routine multiple times, up the winding roads then back down again.

We seem to be driving on forever, never really passing any other cars or people. We do see a lot of wildlife. Donkeys on the side of the road. A meadow in a valley filled with goats and cows grazing aimlessly. Matty gets excited at the sight of the animals and wants us to stop the car so he can go milk the cows or play with the goats.

During the long car ride, Abbo gives us a brief history of the island. We learn that Jalukka is a large island, but not overly populated. It has two tiny towns on either side, Kingsmet, the capital, and the more quaint Rumba. Abbo tells us that Jalukka welcomes tourists, but does not get an over abundance of visitors because of its location, which was off the beaten track. It is an incorporated American territory like the U.S. Virgin Islands, but unlike the USVI it is located further south in the Caribbean Sea, with no real island neighbors closeby. There are several beach resorts scattered throughout the island, one in which is located in the bay where my grandparents' villa is.

"We're almost there." Gram announces to us all as we start to gradually ascend up a large mountain."Once we get to the top, you'll be able to look down and see all of the Carabalise Bay and the resort. It's an amazing view."

The SUV slows down to almost a crawl as we peak the highest point. With our windows rolled down, we just sit there for a few moments, taking in the ocean breeze and our surroundings.

I am speechless. I cannot believe the heavenly sight before my eyes. We are up so high, we can practically see the whole island. Green fauna is everywhere you look. White beaches lace the green land. And then in the not so far distance is the ocean, vast and strong in its appearance. The sea goes on forever. It is a beautiful shade of aquamarine that extends for miles all around. There is no other land mass in eyesight, which makes me feel so tiny and alone. I quickly close my eyes and turn my head. The sight of the ocean from this high vantage point intimidates me, just as it had earlier on the plane ride. I feel completely vulnerable and helpless, a feeling I do not like.

I am grateful when the SUV begins to pick up speed again. Halfway down the road we turn left onto a tiny lane that seems to hug the side of the mountain. We make a slight right and begin to descend again. A moment later Abbo pulls into a covered carport and turns off the engine. "We're here." Gram proclaims in the cheery tone that she often uses when she is excited.

There is no house or building in sight, only a stone wall and a tall 6ft wooden door beneath a stone archway that is on the left side of the SUV. I am beyond confused. As I look around, I notice a metal plaque on the stone wall that reads "Villa de la Sirena."

"What's here?" Justin asks. I am glad I'm not the only one who feels completely clueless as to where we are.

"Home, of course!" Gram replies as she and Gramp get out of the SUV.

"Where?" I ask dumbfounded. I can't figure out how there could be a house here.

"Down here." Abbo says as he opens the tall wooden door.

"Leave the bags in the car. The men can get them later." Gram says, referring to my brother, Dad, and Gramp.

I scurry out of the SUV, eager to see what is through the open archway. I am delightfully surprised by what lay in front of us. 10 steps made of Spanish tiles lead down to a tiny courtyard. A small fountain claims the middle of the space. On the other side of the courtyard is an iron gate between two old looking Mediterranen style buildings with red Spanish tiled roofs. The buildings are beige with dark green shutters and trim. I am taken aback by the beauty surrounding me. It is so peaceful and calm.

Upon seeing the fountain, Matty runs to it. "There's fish. There's fish" he shouts.

"Welcome home" Gram says as she takes me and Mom's hands and leads us down the steps. As we pass the fountain, I look down. Sure enough, Matty was right. There are huge orange koi fish swimming around.

"This is so beautiful. The pictures you sent did not do it justice at all." my mom proclaims. "I'm glad you like it." Gram says.

"Now you can see why we bought the place and moved down here. You and your sisters all thought we were crazy at the time" Abbo says with a laugh.

"No one thought you were crazy." Dad says. "Well, we didn't at least. I can't speak for Lisa and Jill, though" he finishes with a laugh, referring to mom's two sisters.

"It was just so spontaneous and out of the blue. But I see what made you fall in love with this island and this home." Mom explains. I could tell she was speechless by the villa's tranquility and stunning beauty.

"And you haven't even seen the whole house yet." Abbo says. "Or the view" Gram adds. "Shall we give them the grand tour?" Abbo asks. "Of course" Gram answers as she leads us through the courtyard, past the iron gate. I can see the deep blue of the ocean just beyond the deck. I quickly turn my head away, so as not to get dizzy. We enter the left building through a green door with glass paneling.

My grandparents show us around this structure that they lovingly refer to as the "main house." Spanish tile floors, white washed walls and dark wood furniture fills the giant common area that is the kitchen, living and dining rooms. The giant space spills out onto a covered patio that overlooks the pool below and the ocean beyond that.

We are led downstairs and shown two large master bedrooms. One being my grandparents room and the other, they point out, will be my parents room. Both of these rooms lead out onto the sun drenched deck. We step outside and admire the pool. My parents gawk at the ocean view (which I avoid gazing at. This is a rather hard task, seeing as the house is built on the side of the hill and the sea is right there, all around. I say a silent prayer, hoping my room has a courtyard view).

 I say a silent prayer, hoping my room has a courtyard view)