Chapter 55 - Boys Who Wear Red Bandanas

I meet Josh later that day at the hotel and the two of us go back up to the spot of our first encounter, Waterberry Hill. I have learned that when spending time with Josh, it's always better to be prepared, so I packed a pair of converse in my straw bag, just in case there was extensive walking involved, like there is today.

The hike up the hill isn't as bad as the first time I made the trek. The lack of rain makes for a much more enjoyable hike. With every step that I take, I contemplate how I am going to tell Josh about my plan. I keep rehearsing what I am going to say in my head. The more that I think about it, the more nervous I become.

When we finally make it to the top of the lookout and sit down, Josh questions my apparent quiet demeanor.

"Mila, What's up? You alright? You haven't said much. You seem preoccupied, like something is on your mind."

I didn't know that I was being that obvious. I seriously could never be an actress because I apparently have no talent in that field.

I stare at the grass growing next to the rock that we are sitting on. The tall blades move gently with the ocean breeze. I can feel Josh's eyes on me. I turna and catch him gazing at me intently.

"Well, there is something. It's been on my mind all week," I say softly.

"I knew something wasn't right, you seemed distant the last few days, like your head was somewhere else. You know it isn't good to keep things inside for too long. Do you want to talk about it?" Josh asks, as he reaches for my hand.

"Yes, but, well I don't know how to say this." All of my mental rehearsing was for nothing because as I sit on this boulder next to Josh, with our hands interlaced, I am at a complete loss for words. I don't know how to say what I want to without sounding like a complete lunatic.

I take a deep breath and decide to just dive in. "I want to go to Menna. I want to go to Cerulean Bay and get some water to take to my mom. It has healing powers, you know? I've read all about the miracles the water has performed. Did you know it has cured presidents and Kings? People have secretly been using the water of Cerulean Bay for hundreds of years." Josh is silent, so I keep speaking. "This is something I have to do. My mom needs to drink it. She needs to survive. I have to do this. I have to go to Cerulean. My mom has to live...because..." I choke on my words as the gravity of what I am saying sinks in. "I don't think I can live without her," I proclaim, as the tears begin to stream down my face.

He wraps his arm around my waist. I know what he is going to say. He is going to say that I am insane and that everything I have read in Audrey's journal is some sort of cover up for a heinous murder to preserve the power of an ancient island tribe that feeds on the innocence of the young. I close my eyes and wait for his disapproving response.

I'm shocked when it doesn't come.

"Look how much I've rubbed off on you," Josh says lightheartedly.

"Huh?" His words confuse me.

"Mila, you were a nonbeliever before. You wouldn't believe anything that wasn't proven true without hardcore evidence. You were the type of girl who had to see something to believe it. And now here you are, believing in tales about secret magical islands, mermaids and special healing water."

"Who would've thought?" I say impatiently. I just want to know what he thinks about my plan. "So what do you think about what I just told you? Will you help me?" I ask nervously.

He reaches up and places his thumb on my chin. Turning my head gently so that my eyes meet his. "You should know that I would do anything you ask me to."

"So you'll help?" I ask, unable to hide the excitement in my voice. I didn't think it was going to be so easy to get him on board with my plan.

"Of course I will. I'm always up for an adventure. But Mila, don't get your hopes up. You know what I think really happened to Audrey. I don't believe that she ever made it to Menna. I think that this whole thing is some false elaboration on the part of the Melleiro."

His words sting. I want him to see things my way.

"But I know you believe otherwise. You think that Sabra is innocent, which I sort of admire. You seem to always find the good in people."

"I do believe that Audrey is telling the truth. I finished her journal this past week. And you should have read it. It was amazing. This guy named Vicktor came, the boy who did the gazing, and he became her guide and helped her with her catalyst."

"Gazing? Catalyst?" Josh asks with a perplexed expression on his face.

I spend the next hour explaining everything I have learned from Audrey's journal. Josh asks questions and seems genuinely interested, but then again maybe he is just trying to find holes in the tales Audrey spun? Either way, I enjoyed the company and liked all of the thoughtful questions he asked.

"Look at you, Mila! You're such a believer. The way you just spoke about Menna, and Cerulean Bay, with such passion and conviction, if I didn't feel so strongly about the Melleiro and Sabra you would have had me convinced," he says.

I try and not let Josh's words bother me, which is actually rather easy since his tone is so sincere.

"Well, thanks," I reply. "Aren't you excited to go there, to Mennakenna? " I ask.

"Yes, I am. But you do know that Menna is an island, right? And that you can only get there by boat?" Josh questions.

"Yes, I am well aware that Menna is an island. Why?" I retort.

"Well, have you thought this little adventure of yours through? How are you going to be able to do that?" Josh's tone is gentle and not at all malicious.

The truth is, I completely overlooked this tiny aspect. I don't know where my mind was and how I could have ever forgotten the harsh reality about my situation. I am terrified of water. How am I ever going to manage sailing on a boat surrounded by ocean?

Josh squeezes my hand, instantly calming my nerves. It is then that I remember the effect that this cute boy, who likes to wear red bandanas, has on me. In the short time that I have known him, he has changed me. I now believe in mermaids. I have submerged my feet on the shore of the beach. He has helped me open my eyes to life and enabled me to really live.

I turn to face him. "Well, I think as long as I have you nearby, I'll be fine. I've learned that this island and you especially are pure magic and that things can happen that can't be explained. You have taught me that so long as one believes anything is possible. And I believe that I can do this. That we can do this," I say.

He wraps his arm around my waist, bringing me close to his body. I take a deep breath and fill my lungs with the sweet aroma that I have come to associate with him. Coconut with a hint of teakwood.

He brushes a lock of my hair behind my ear and our eyes meet. He holds my gaze so intently. His lips curl up into a slight smile. His head begins to slowly move closer in my direction. My heart rate begins to speed up as I anticipate what is going to come.

I close my eyes and wait.

As his lips touch my cheek, I open my eyes. I hadn't expected that, a kiss on my cheek. I thought this was going to be the moment. The moment when I would finally get to feel his lips on mine.

"You're sure that the journal provides enough information about how to get there and what we will need to do once we arrive?" Josh asks, forcing me to focus on him and his question and not his lips.

"Yes, yes. Audrey talked excessively about what she and Sabra had to gather and do in order to make their journey. Then she described everything that they did once on the island. Oh, and we have the map! Remember the one in my room? It's a map of the island so we can copy it and then we'll know where to go," I explain.

"Then it's settled, we're going to Menna," he says enthusiastically.