Chapter 93 - And So the Journey Begins

Josh never returned to Justin's party after leaving with Amber, the thought of which gives me severe anxiety. Is he with her now? What are they doing? Why hasn't he called me? Are we still going to Mennakenna tomorrow?

As if on cue, my phone begins to vibrate from the nightstand table. My heart starts to race as I grow excited hoping that it's my boyfriend. It isn't. It's a number I don't recognize. I contemplate whether or not to answer. My curiosity gets the best of me as I wonder if it might be Josh calling from another phone, so I quickly pick up the call.

"Hello?"

"Mila? It's Sabra." My heart sinks. I don't want to speak with her. She was the main cause of the tension between Josh and I.

"I can't talk right now," I lie. She doesn't need to know that I actually have all the time in the world to talk, seeing as my so-called boyfriend is possibly out with Amber and he's ignoring me.

"It's important," she states. Her voice ebbed with concern. "You cannot go to Menna tomorrow."

"What?" I reply.

"You cannot go tomorrow," she repeats.

"Whynot?" I retort.

"There is something terribly..." she begins.

I hear my bedroom door open. I look and see Josh, standing in the doorway, holding his skateboard.

"I have to go," I mumble and hang up the phone.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, with a smile.

He closes the door before answering. "Who were you speaking with?"

"You don't want to know," I state.

He stares at me, as though he knows who I might say. "Try me," he replies.

"Sabra," I answer. He rolls his eyes.

"Why are you here? If my dad catches you we both will be in so much trouble!" I explain.

"I know I know. I just couldn't leave things the way they were between us," he answers, as he walks towards me. "Is it alright that I'm here? If not, I just can leave and call you," he says, as he turns to leave.

"No, don't leave, you're here now. But do lock the door, just in case!" I whisper.

"Okay." He locks the door and stands a couple feet away from the bed. He seems nervous.

"Is it alright if I sit?" He asks.

"Of course, you don't have to ask."

"I know. I know," he states, as he sits next to me. I notice he has changed and is now wearing a clean navy shirt.

"How's your wound?" I ask.

"It finally stopped bleeding, I think."

"That's good. Does your body still ache?" I inquire.

"No, that's finally subsiding."

"That's good," I reply. More small talk. Both of us dancing around what we really want to talk about. Neither one of us stating what is on our mind. So I take the plunge and ask what I need to know. "How's Amber?" My tone is clipped, yet still friendly.

"Mila, that's partially why I came." My heart instantly sinks. My worst fears are coming true.

"Oh my gosh... are you serious?" I ask, as I scoot away from him. "You're here to break up with me! You and she are getting back together?"

"No, of course not. I would never date her again. It's you I love." He reaches for my hand, but I brush him away.

"Then what was that earlier?" I demand.