Chapter 7 - Night Light

I prop my head up on a pillow and begin to look around at my new room for the night. It is simple, and lacks the design characteristics and dramatic theming that the other two rooms offer. A solid red duvet cover is the only pop of color in the seemingly banal space. The rest of the room consists of neutrals and dark wooden furniture. Black and white landscape photos of tropical vegetation hang from one wall. A large comfy looking armchair covered in a black and white quilt sits in the corner near the french doors.

Not wanting to get up just yet, I close my eyes and start to practice my meditation, but I can't concentrate. My mind is scattered in so many different places. I keep thinking of my home back in Massachusetts, dance, my friends, this island, my parents (mainly mom), Gram and Abbo, this villa, and for some strange reason Josh Davenport keeps creeping into my thoughts. I don't even know him and yet here I am thinking about him nonstop. Wondering random things about him, like what it's like to live on a boat, how old he is, what's he doing now, and whether or not he has a girlfriend.

I immediately sit up. I cringe at myself for allowing my mind to wander onto the topic of his personal life. I instantly decide that I have had enough meditation for one night, so I get up to find my pajamas and get ready to go to sleep. I plop my big pink suitcase on the bed and begin to remove the contents. I take out various tank tops, skirts, and sandals before I come to what I was looking for, my pjs. As I pull my green polka dotted pajama shorts and matching tank out of my bag, the yellow package from my friends becomes visible.

I pick up the gift and study it, wondering what it could contain. My thoughts are interrupted by the possible gift ideas the sound of soft music.

At first I think it is coming from Cam in the room next door, but the closer I listen, the more apparent it becomes that the room my oldest brother now occupies is not the source. I tilt my head up and begin to walk around the room looking for the source of the melodic sounds. As I walk towards the french doors, the music becomes louder. With every step I take towards the outside world, the soft hum grows more clear in sound. More distinct.

I gaze out of the glass paned door and onto the water. The bay is illuminated by the moon that shines full and bright from far above. I open the door and step out into the warm night air. I can now make out the soft strums of an acoustic guitar. The dream-like melody bounces off the water and the cliffs producing a soft echo effect.

I close my eyes as I listen, slowly moving my head to the beat. I stand there awhile, gently swaying my body to the beat. I am in a music induced trance. It is heavenly.

Just as I begin to think how truly wonderful this island is and that maybe I am wrong. That maybe this is actually going to be an amazing summer... The soft music stops.

As if being awoken from a dream, my eyes flash open instantaneously. I realize then that I still don't know the source of the music. I remember seeing a pair of binoculars on the nightstand, so I go inside to retrieve them. I place them up to my eyes and begin to scan the water. I quickly find what I am looking for.

The ship. It is completely dark except for one tiny light that is shining from the back of the deck. I am able to make out the shadow of a figure, holding what looks like a guitar. That's the guitar I was hearing, I think to myself. I focus my eyesight on the shadowy figure, trying feverishly to determine who it is, not that I'd be able to tell who it is exactly. I just want to know if it is him. The figure bends down (maybe to grab something, it's so hard to see exactly what they are doing in the dark night). And then, as if the world can hear my thoughts, the clouds part the moon shines down, casting a radiant glow around the ship. My eyes catch a glimpse of something red atop the figure's head. It is Josh's bandana!

Josh picks up the guitar again and starts to strum a few chords. He stops and then bends down again. He treats this action several more times before it dawned on me what exactly he is doing.

He is composing as he plays. I can't believe how talented he is. He is able to not only able to play such beautiful music but also write it. smile to myself. He is a true artist.

A second later I realize who I am gleaming at. And who exactly I am admiring and my smile quickly vanishes. I don't want to be happy that the heavenly music was being produced by Josh. I wipe the smirk off my face and glare at him. After all, he did laugh at me! I am still not over that.

I tell myself to go back inside and close the door, but my body does not listen. It stays as he begins to play again. I stand there staring out at Josh and decide that I can't be mad at him. As much as I want to be furious with him, I just can not stay angry at anyone who can create such heavenly music. The expression on my face morphs back into a slight smile. I close my eyes again and begin to sway to music. I am in a trance. I don't want the gentle strums of his guitar to stop. But suddenly it does.

I open my eyes, wondering why he hasn't started playing again. I secretly hope that he is not done for the night. I focus my eyesight on the ship. I squint as I try to make out what he is doing. And then I realize what it is and my eyes grow wide. He is staring at me! At least it appears that way in the moonlight.

For a split second I wonder if maybe he isn't looking at me, but instead up at Gram's house, admiring the fine craftsmanship against the starry sky. I begin to feel better about my current situation, and hold the binoculars up to my eyes for a better look. I quickly pull them away as I catch sight of what he is doing. He is smiling at me.

I try and reason that he is just smiling at the night, captivated by the beauty of the villa in the dark. I can only imagine what it must look like down on the water. A vast sea of darkness illuminated by the few outdoor lights and...

Oh shoot! I think to myself in a panic. I forgot that the lights were on in my room! Everyone in the bay can see me. Even without the binoculars, I can tell that he is still looking up in my general direction smiling. Then all of a sudden he waves. Our eyes seem to meet and I am completely immobile. I can not move from where I stand. I am in utter shock that I have been caught staring at him...again!

He begins to move. What is he doing? I wonder. He puts his guitar down and places his right arm on his leg. He then rests his chin in the palm of his hand. All the while he keeps his eyes locked on me. He seems amused, as he sits there staring at me with a huge grin on his face.

My eyes bulge out. He is mocking me! I feel my cheeks warm up as they turn crimson, yet again. I am thankful for the fact that he is m down in the bay and the chances of him actually seeing how red my face has become is quite slim. My momentary paralysis is gone and I step back into the room. I close the French door and quickly pull the white curtain to shield me from the outside. I sprint across the wooden floor, jump into the bed and bury my head beneath the covers. I want to be as far away from that ship in the bay as possible. To say that I am mortified would definitely be an understatement. I don't think I can ever leave this bedroom, which is actually fine by me. 

Cerulean FoundOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara