Chapter 43 - Nighttime Whispers

I'd been avoiding the hotel and the beach since my parents left the island. I didn't want to run into Adam-Miguel, so I stayed away, much to my grandparents disapproval. They didn't like the idea of me staying home alone. I think gram secretly thought I was having Josh over, but sadly I wasn't because he was busy working. She'd be surprised to learn that while they all swam at the beach, I passed the time curled up in bed reading Audrey's journal.

I spent every free moment I had devouring the contents of her diary and trying to make sense of it all. None of what I read seemed logically possible to me. I try to shrug off my findings as the result of a thirteen year old girl's active imagination while coping with her mother's abandonment, but that doesn't seem the likely reason. Audrey is so serious, and rambles on at great length about these crazy assumptions that she believes to be true. I have a hard time finding fault in them, regardless of how insane they seem. I can't shake this feeling that there is so much more to the story.

I quickly became obsessed with Audrey, to the point that random thoughts of the little red haired girl would pop into my mind throughout the day and even at night. I'd lay in bed, attempting to sleep, but would find myself wide awake for hours, thinking of Audrey and her mysterious life and ultimate disappearance. Even when I eventually did manage to doze off, I was haunted by the imagery of what I had read. Vast oceans of aquamarine waters and long slender tails swimming all around. I'd much rather fall asleep to thoughts of Josh holding me in his arms and dream about his lips kissing mine. I decided to put the journal away and promised myself that I would not to think about it again until I saw Josh, whenever that might be, which I hoped was soon.

***

As I sit in between Adam-Miguel and Justin, I can't help but think how strange the current situation is. It's Saturday night and we are at dinner at the Carabalise Beach Resort with Lallie, Osmany and Adam-Miguel. What makes the evening so different is the fact that not all of my family is present. The absence of my parents and Cam reminds me of the reality of my mother's situation, something I do not like remembering, even if I am trying to see things with an open-mind.

I chose my seat strategically. Having Adam-Miguel next to me guaranteed that a game of footsie could not break out. However, the one thing I didn't take into account when choosing my seat was the close proximity I'd be to him. The amount of times he whispered into my ear, made me wish he was sitting across from me. I'd take his leg rubbing up against mine over the gentle sound of his voice as he whispered into my ear, any day.

"Can you believe I leave tomorrow to go home?" He coos.

"It's come so fast," I say before turning to Justin and silently beg him to engage me in conversation.

"I know you must be sad that I'm leaving. I know that I am."

I don't know how to answer, so I simply just smile and take a bite of my salmon.

"My vacation has flown by. I thought we'd have more time together."

I drop my fork onto my plate, causing everyone to stare at me. I attempt to laugh it off, and thankfully gram begins to tell a story about her dancing days, diverting the attention away from me.

I avoid Adam-Miguel the rest of the meal, however, I am aware of his watchful eyes on me. His stares are so intense, I can hear Justin snickering beside me. Adam-Miguel doesn't say a word to me until the desert comes. It is then, when everyone has started to consume their cakes and tarts, inadvertently causing a table wide silence, that he very casually asks for my phone number. With watchful eyes on me, I very reluctantly give it to him.

He gives me his number as well and tells me to give him a call if I ever find myself in Miami. I have no intention of traveling down to South Florida anytime soon, but program his number into my phone to be polite.