Chapter 53 - The Truth About Dreams and Max Paisley's Love Life

At night I have another interesting dream. The great Max Paisley, is in it, yet again. I deduce he is there because I had told Josh about my dream the night before. I refuse to believe that I am dreaming about Olympic swimmers on my own freewill.

The dream is interesting. I am in the ocean alone floating near the surface. The water is a bright teal. It is a clear day with not a cloud in the perfectly blue sky. I figure by the position of the sun that shines directly above me, that it must be mid afternoon. A quick glance around reveals that there is no land in sight in any direction. I am truly in the middle of the sea and yet I am not scared or feeling any bit of anxiety, which is strange. I try not to dwell on this too much in case my body suddenly realizes where I am and I begin to have a panic attack.

Something begins to make its way towards me, causing my heartbeat to pick up. Thinking it's a shark, I turn and start to swim away. The creature catches up to me and I discover that it isn't a hungry shark, but Max Paisley. He looks gorgeous with his dripping wet brown locks.

"You beat me again," he says with a laugh. His eyes sparkle a beautiful amber color, beneath the warm sunlight.

"I beat you?" I ask, completely dumbfounded by this revelation.

"Yeah, but I wouldn't get too excited, I am nursing a hurt wrist," he says, as he winks at me.

I hear something in the distance. It sounds like a loud motor. I look around and see a dark object just at the horizon line. It appears to be coming towards us at a rapid speed.

The closer that it gets, I am able to determine that it is a large white powerboat. As I study the approaching boat I notice that Max is swimming towards it. So I do the same.

"Try to catch me now," he yells.

When the boat is close enough I can make out the figure of who is driving. She's tall, with slender legs and long wavy brown hair that is worn loose. It know instantly who she is and my sinks just a little.

It's Max's girlfriend, Amanda.

I float in the ocean fifteen feet away, as Max boards the boat and wraps his arms around Amanda. He holds her for a moment before leaning in and kissing his beautiful girlfriend passionately. I feel guilty staring at such a tender exchange between them, but I can't help myself.

The intimate moment between the two is intense and filled with so much love. I can't help but feel a twinge of jealousy. I want what they have.

Amanda is ridiculously beautiful and Max is like an adonis. The two of them exude perfection and make the most gorgeous couple imaginable. I stare at them enviously, as Max lets go of Amanda's body, allowing her to rev up the engine. A moment later, they speed off into the sunset, without me.

I start to swim after them but my efforts are proven useless. I quickly realize that there is no way that I will be able to catch a speeding power boat, regardless how fast I am able to swim now, which is close to lightning speed. Max is seriously an incredible teacher. He really is like a water god.

Even though I know that my chances of catching up to the boat are slim, I still continue to try. That is, until suddenly something pops up out of the water to my right. I look to see what it is but it is back beneath the surface before I was able to get a good look. I returned to chasing the boat, because what else am I supposed to do? But it is too late. In that split second that I had stopped is all it took for the boat to vanish into the horizon. I look around, not knowing what to do or which way to go.

I hear a splash. This time it's coming from behind me.

I turn around. And there she is. Her eyeless head floating just above the surface. Audrey looks just as she had the last time I dreamt of her. She is beautiful beyond words. Her long red hair flows long. Her pale skin sparkles in the sunlight. It seems iridescent, like it has a sheen to it, almost transparent.