Chapter 1 - Airborne

A warm breeze flies across my body sprinkling tiny sand particles around my skin. I open my mouth ever so slightly and extend my tongue out into the elements. I slowly move it across my upper lip, tasting the sand that has been deposited there from the gentle wind. It tastes banal with a hint of salt. I can't say that I like it. But I don't hate it either.

I inhale deeply, filling my lungs with the fresh humidity. After a moment I release the al fresco air that I am holding hostage deep within me. I sluggishly take a step forward. As my bare foot touches the coarse sand, my toes curl up at the warm sensation. I progress forward slowly. I glance around my shoulder, surveying the desert terrain that goes on forever in every direction that I can see.

There is no sign of life anywhere. No animal tracks in the sand. No birds flying above. No lush vegetation. I am alone and I like it.

I hear a faint noise spring out from the distance. "Was it a voice?" I can't tell.

I stand still for a moment, concentrating all of my effort and attention on figuring out what I have just heard. The desert is deadly silent. I become aware of my own heartbeat as it thumps in my chest, pumping the blood to and fro.

I am finally rewarded for my patience.I hear it again. The sound.

It seems to be coming from above me. I look up into the powder blue sky and squint at the blinding sun. I can't make anything out. The more I try to focus, the harder it becomes to see. Suddenly everything becomes dark and the voice becomes more clear...

"Would you like something to drink, Miss?"

I open my eyes and for a fraction of a second I almost forget where I am, which makes me smile slightly because it means my meditation has actually worked. Mom will be so proud.

She keeps telling me that I will find inner peace and harmony from our bi-weekly yoga sessions, but I always shrug her off, never really believing what she says. I admit, I have always thought yoga was a waste of time, but I keep my feelings to myself and continue to go with mom, twice a week (every week), like we've done for the past six months... for moral support, of course. I'm not saying that I've finally found personal peace or harmony just yet, or that I am ever going to, for that matter, but I have found aspects of practicing yoga to come in quite handy on a daily basis. Not the whole Downward Facing Dog thing, but the breathing and meditation part definitely have been very useful, especially today.

"Miss..."

My thoughts are interrupted. I look up and see a semi-attractive, red-haired, baby-faced woman in her early 20's standing over me. Her pale facial features are a strong contrast to the navy uniform, of knee-length polyester skirt and matching blue blouse, that she wears.

"Would you like something to drink?" she inquires again, but this time I detect a tiny bit of annoyance in her once pleasant voice.

"I'll have a Coke, thanks" the words spill out of my mouth before I have proper time to think. I am not thirsty at all and more than likely my coke will remain unopened and untouched. I think of the poor individual sitting a few rows behind me, who just stuffed their face with peanuts and desperately needs something to drink and a nice cold Coke is all that they crave. It is all that they want. Big red will no doubt burst their bubble when she informs the patron that they are out of the carbonated beverage. This thought makes me sad. I hate knowing that someone will suffer just because I can't think on my toes quick enough.

She hands me my Coke without even gazing in my direction.

Is it that obvious that I don't want the drink? I think to myself. Maybe.