Chapter 11 - Summer Shower

With our beach bags and towels in tow, we walk the short distance from the small parking lot to the beach. I leave my family and begin to explore a bit on my own.

It is a beautiful resort set in between two large green hills. White plantation style cottages with delicate gingerbread detailing are spread out throughout the property. Everywhere I look there is tropical vegetation, perfectly manicured lawns and blooming exotic flowers. The colors are so bright and so vibrant.

With each step that I take, I notice a new color, a new plant, a new sight. I take it all in trying to record it permanently in my mind. I lingered behind my family several feet. Just enjoying my new surroundings.

It is hot out, but it doesn't bother me because there is a refreshing ocean breeze that sweeps down from the surrounding hills. The breeze feels good, I feel good. I fee like nothing could dampen my mood.

About an hour after arriving at the hotel and exploring the grounds extensively, I am covered in sweat and ready to kick back and relax in the shade. By the time I make it to the beach my family has already staked a claim on a set of navy cushioned chaise lounges by the water's edge. I know that it is too close for me. So I grab a fluffy yellow towel from the stack we brought and decide to find a spot with less of a view. As I turn to leave in search of my perfect beachside location, I feel a tap on my arm.

"Here" Justin says as he shoves his iPad into my hand. "You can hold this while I go for a swim." "Thanks" I say as he turns and runs into the aquamarine water. I was in complete shock. Apparently I wasn't the only one. "Isn't that Justin's?" Cameron asks as he walks up from the road.

"Yeah," I say, still surprised at what I am holding. "Does he know you have it? Because if not, I can tell him for you" Cameron states. "Yes. He knows I have it. He's the one who told me to hold it for him while he swims."

"Oh man. Justin does have a heart after all." We both chuckle. "Sure you don't want to join us, Mila?" Cameron asks, already knowing the answer. "You don't know what you're missing."

"No, thanks. I think I'll pass." I say as I continue searching for a shady spot to relax in. I settle on a lounge chair in the back of the beach where the smooth white sand borders the grassy lawn. The spot has an umbrella that provides me with ample coverage from the sun.

I am really enjoying myself, lounging aimlessly, watching the beachgoers as they frolic on the sand (my eyes stay safely away from the water), and listening to music on Justin's iPad, his playlists are always pretty spectacular. I am able to totally block out the sound of the waves and the people splashing in the water with the loud music blaring in my ears.

As time time passes by, the heat that I once found to be pleasant, is now growing unbearable. I can feel the sweat droplets roll down my body. I can taste the saltiness of my own perspiration as it trickles down my cheek. It is disgusting and I feel gross.

My tight white tank top is now completely transparent as it clings to my body with sweat. I decide to take it off and let it dry out a bit.

As I lay back in my chaise lounge, after removing my drenched top, I notice a small speck of red near the tiki hut. I have a feeling I know what it is.

I turn to get a better look. My suspicions are confirmed. It is Josh. And it looks like he is staring at me!

I turn back around quickly. My heart speeds up as I realize I've been caught gazing at him yet again! I lay on the chaise perfectly still for several minutes, wondering if he is still standing 20 feet away, staring at me.

Why would he be staring at me? He's probably staring at someone better looking than me, I think to myself. I feel my body loosen up as I realize if he is still standing there, his attention is more than likely consumed by someone other than me.