Chapter 88 - The Depths of the Forest & the Edge of Existence

Sabra is standing on the driveway, leaning up against her dark green hatchback, staring up at the sky, when I approach.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," I proclaim, as I stand a few feet in front of her.

"Oh, I haven't been waiting. I only just came out. I knew you were on your way."

"Right, the whole sensing thing, I forgot," I mumble as she gets in the car.

I follow her lead and hop in the passenger side. Before I know it the car revs on and we are heading down the street. She rolls the windows down and for several long minutes we sit in silence. Nothing but the sound of the wind rumbling through the car. The silence is getting to me. It makes me feel guarded and on edge. I don't know what she is thinking. I don't know what I should be thinking. I don't even know where we were going, except that it is in the heart of the Apachabo forest.

"You can relax Mila," she says with a smile. "This is the easy part."

"What do you mean?" I ask, instantly realizing she must have sensed my nervous energy. The thought of which unsettles me. What else can she sense and feel?

"The Melleiro and I are here to help you. When you head to Mennakenna, that's when you should be nervous. The magic on that island is powerful and unpredictable. That's why we are doing the Avylana, to help guide you. But you still need to be careful. The Mooreaya are fickle and easily turn against you if they sense disloyalty. There's also the Erycon, which you will have to watch out for."

"Have you seen the beast?" I ask.

"I have, but only from a distance. It's a nasty grotesque looking creature."

"What does it look like?" I ask curiously, afraid of the answer.

"Well, it's tall. When it stands on its hind legs it tops at over 10 feet. It can outrun the fastest human when it lunges into a sprint on all four of its legs. Jet black eyes, razor sharp fangs and a tongue that extends out 3 feet. It's covered in auburn fur that changes color depending on it's hunger. If he has not been fed for quite a while, his fur will be a dull gray brown hue. If he has feasted recently, he will be a deep crimson burgundy, colored by the blood it had just consumed. Fear the beast always, but especially if his fur is dull."

"What does he eat? Who feeds him?" I have so many questions.

"He eats animals, jungle cats, birds, reptiles, whatever he can get his fangs in. Humans are a delicacy that he doesn't get that often. As far as feeding him, he fends for himself, but the Mooreaya do try and keep his fur red by providing him with peace offerings of animals every few weeks. The ceremony today will inform them of your arrival and they will know to feed the Erycon. Don't underestimate its power, even a well-fed Erycon is not something to take lightly. When food and humans are in the picture they will stop at nothing to eat. Remember that. Also remember they do not like the water. So if you find yourself in a precarious situation, head towards the water, it will be your ally."

I do like the sound of the Erycon. It definitely is a beast that I hope we never have to face.

As we make our way towards the center of the island, the road begins to curve and dip. When Mount Jalukka is in view, Sabra turns off of the main highway and drives along a deserted road that leads deeper through the lush landscape. The further we drive, the thicker the trees and vegetation become. I feel my phone vibrate in my bag. I quickly rummage through and find my cell.

It's Josh. My heart starts to race.

I can't pick up the phone. Not now. So I ignore him.

I swear that I see Sabra look over and smirk as I disregard Josh's call.