Chapter 92 - Those Who Party and Those Who Don't

Josh and I spend the remainder of the afternoon hanging out with my family, and Amber, poolside, eating BBQ, laughing at jokes and just genuinely getting along. It is a perfect summer day. My mom seems tired, but she doesn't let on that she is feeling out of it. I know what she is doing. She wants everyone to think she is fine and not worry about her on Justin's day.

Amber is surprisingly charming and nice. I wonder if it is all an act for my mom? I am also curious what my mom thinks of her? Cameron plays with Matty and chats with Josh, who seems to fit in so well with my family. Josh is never far from my side, but we hardly speak. He talks with my mom, my dad, my grandparents, Justin, and even Amber, but not me. It is in these instances, when he is engrossed in a conversation with my family, that I can't help but wonder if he is still mad at me? But then as soon that thought fills my mind, he does something that makes me realize how utterly crazy I am. A wink from across the table, a squeeze of my arm as he walks by, or a smile directed towards me while he is deep in conversation with someone and I melt and completely forget that he hasn't said but three words to me since the birthday party started.

That all changes once Sabra and Peggy show up. Josh shoots Peggy's daughter an evil glare, which I can totally understand. He was just shot at with a bow and arrow by her tribe.

He walks up to me and whispers in my ear, "what's she doing here?"

"I don't know, she was invited. They are good friends with my Grandparents."

"I still don't like her," he says, his tone filled with hatred.

"I know."

"Josh, why is your shirt red?" Matty screams from the pool.

Amber, who is floating on a giant pool float in the shape of a pineapple, looks at Josh and shouts, "Joshy, I think you're bleeding."

"It's blood?" Matty screams, which causes everyone to stop what they are doing and look at Josh.

"Uh oh, what happened to you?" my Gram asks.

He stands silent for a solid minute. I start to panic. What is he going to say? Is he going to tell the truth? He turns and stares Sabra directly in the eyes and says, "I was shot at with an arrow by one of the Melleiro tribe members."

Did he actually just say that? I can't believe it. A few moments of awkward silence later, he adds "Just kidding, obviously. That is my attempt at humor." He laughs.

"So what did happen?" My mom asks.

"Would you believe it if I told you I had a little spearfishing accident yesterday?"

"Ah, that sounds bad," my mom says. "Is it bad?"

"No, just needed a few stitches, but I should be fine."

"Does it hurt?" Matty yells.

"A little, it hurts to laugh... so don't say anything funny, okay?" Josh says with a chuckle.

"Then maybe we shouldn't tell you about Mila's weird obsession for the..." Cameron starts.

"Those singing brothers?" Josh interrupts.

"Yeah... you know?" Cam asks.

"Yeah, I found that out a while ago."

"Mila, you like them?" Amber inquires curiously..

"Kind of, sort of.. Not really. Why?" I reply.

"Daddy knows their manager. I could get you an autograph or something."

"What? Are you serious? Yes. Please do!" I say.

"Thought you didn't like them anymore?" Justin asks with a smirk.