Chapter 36 - Sealed Lips

It isn't until Tuesday afternoon that I finally see Josh in person again. I had walked down to the resort beach with my three brothers and was sitting on a chaise lounge, in the shade of a palm tree when I spotted La Isla Nina III approaching the dock.

My heart starts to race. I am beyond nervous. I haven't seen or spoken to Josh in three days! Why hadn't he tried to contact me?

I don't know if he still likes me or not. Yes, he did sneak into my room and leave me that rose, which was super sweet, but maybe he has changed his mind and has gotten back together with Amber since then? That is a definite possibility.

I realize I am beginning to drive myself crazy. I have to stop this. My mind tends to run wild when left alone. I close my eyes and try to go to my happy place.

I am sitting on the warm desert floor. A light wind sweeps through the area and flicks sand across my face. The sun is warm against my skin. I breathe in the air and detect a spice-like fragrance floating in the atmosphere. Suddenly a shadow blocks the sun and everything grows dark.

I feel a gentle kiss on my forehead. I open my eyes and am greeted by Josh standing above me.

"Happy Belated Birthday, Mila," he says. "I've missed you."

I smile. I don't know what to say. I want to ask where he has been and why he missed my birthday, but I don't. I can't seem to find the right words to form the sentences.

"So did you have a good Birthday?"

I study his tanned and perfect face for a moment before responding. "Where were you?" I demand. My tone is a little more harsher than I had intended.

"Home," he says casually.

"Home?" I ask, not really believing him. "You didn't go to Amber's party?"

"Is that what you think?" he chuckles as he sits down on my chaise. "I guess I can see how it might look like that to you. But honestly why would I go to her party? I thought you knew I had no intention of going."

"Then where were you?" I ask again. I need to know what was so important that it kept him from being with me on my Birthday.

"I told you. I was home, well for most of the day. I took one of the dinghies out and went to one of my favorite beaches. I had to get away because if I stayed on the boat all day I knew I would drive myself crazy and be tempted to go over to your place."

"And what would be so wrong with that?" I ask, totally not understanding him.

"I didn't want to go," he states matter of factly. My mouth drops open at his brutal honesty, which I had not been expecting. "Let me rephrase that. I didn't think that I should go."

"Why not?" I snap.

"I thought you should be with your family," he says softly.

"Huh? What do you mean? I'm with them all the time."

"Yeah, but it was your Birthday and I just thought with your mom's condition, you should all spend the day together, just family," he answers.

"What are you talking about?" I ask forcibly. "My mom is fine!"

As he stares at me I can tell that he regrets saying anything. He knows something and obviously thought that I knew it too. But I didn't, and still don't, know anything.

"Ask your mom, you really should know, but you shouldn't hear it from me."

"Know what?" I practically scream. "Josh, tell me!"