Chapter 17 - Painted Island

As I walk back to my room after breakfast, I feel stuffed. I ate far too much, but I had been starving. I hadn't eaten anything in a whole day. And what a day that had been. I just want to forget about the strenuous hike, all of the Josh drama and the emotional stress of it all. I ate slowly as I filled my belly with bacon, scrambled eggs, fruit, wheat toast and Cuban coffee. I was thankful that my family didn't bring up what happened yesterday. It appeared that we were all trying to put it in the past, and I was relieved.

I fight the urge to crawl back into bed and bury myself within the fluffy covers. I don't have time to lounge around. I have to get ready. My family has decided that today we are going to go visit the old sugar cane ruins located at the Minnery Plantation. I am not looking forward to spending the day out in the heat looking at dilapidated old buildings, but it is better than the alternative... spending the day by the beach. I hope that the Minnery Plantation is air conditioned but I have a feeling that it isn't.

I force my body to walk over to the closet. I decide on a simple baby blue swingy sundress. I would wear my wedged sandals but I know my feet can't handle the pain again just yet. The only shoes that I have that I know would be comfortable are my running shoes or my white converse low tops. I opted for the converse, which actually doesn't look bad with the dress once I added my straw hat, sunglasses and a few strands of beads around my neck.

As I sit on my bed tying my shoes, something on the wall by the closet catches my eye. It looks like a tiny island had been painted in the space I was gazing at. I wonder why my brothers didn't cover it up?

Maybe they had run out of posters? Perhaps they didn't see it, like I hadn't, until this very moment? Or maybe they thought it wouldn't bother me, which, surprisingly, it doesn't.

I get up to examine the painting of the island. Blue waves are drawn all around the land mass. Underneath the island is written in a loose script, Isle of Mennakenna. I have never heard of the island before. To the left of the island's name is written in the same script, Caribbean Sea. The island was full of tiny text and words describing and naming various places. Eye of Menna, Mooriaya, Erycon, I read. I don't know what any of it means.

Such care and detail went into marking each location that it is hard to believe that it is not based on some actual place. There appeared to be a light black line that curved around the whole island. It started at the right tip of the land mass and then zig-zagged across the isle before ending at the opposite end, where a large half moon shaped bay is located. The words Cerulean Bay are scribbled across the blue water.I notice miniscule pencil drawings sketched into the water of the bay. They look like fish, or maybe they are people. I can't tell because they are so tiny and drawn so lightly, as if the painter of the island never got around to finishing them.

"There you are. Are you ready, Mila? Everyone's ready and waiting." Dad asks as he stands in my doorway. "Yeah. I'm ready. I just need to grab my bag," I reply as I continue to stare at the little island.

"Whoa, look at this room. It looks completely different than before," he says.

"Yeah, they did a good job," I add.

"I actually prefer the aquatic theme to this." Dad says in a disapproving tone. I knew dad wouldn't be a fan of my room's transformation. He doesn't understand my fear of water. He never has, and I suppose he never will. I don't blame him though, because to be honest, I don't understand it myself. The difference between the two of us though, is that I have learned to accept it as part of who I am. Dad on the other hand, thinks I somehow have control over what I'm scared of. I wish it were that simple.

"Don't you think all of these men are creepy? I suppose you probably think they're all cute, huh?" he teases.

"Ewww, gross, dad! They're all like super old and ancient now! Probably in their 30's!" I state.