Chapter 21 - Mean Girls

As I pick up my bag to put my various reading materials away, I look over and see that the girls are walking away. They are heading towards the catamaran. Josh's girlfriend runs ahead of her two friends and throws her tanned arms around a guy in baby blue and black shorts. Even without the red bandana, I instantly know who it is. It's Josh. She kisses him on the cheek.

He sees me staring. His eyes dart to my left, clearly taking in the sight of Adam-Miguel. I hope he thinks he is a new male interest of mine. To make sure he gets that impression I decide to take matters into my own hands. I turn and pick up my stuff from the chaise and spot my sunscreen. I have an idea.

"How does my back look?" I ask, as I turn around revealing my back to Adam-Miguel. "Are my shoulders red?" I ask. "A little," he replies. "Do you think you could spray me? I hate to burn" I ask, in a playful tone, instantly hating myself for actually going forward with this stupid plan.

"Yeah. Of course," he answers. I knew he would not deny me. "Anything for you Mila," he whispers into my ear. I gasp and silently cringe for myself.

I hand him the sunscreen and instruct him to rub it in well to make sure that he doesn't miss a spot. He sits next to me and does just as I asked and then some. He is getting a little carried away with the rubbing and touching of my back. I feel like I am getting a massage as he rubs my shoulders sensually. I am embarrassed not only for myself but for him as well.

I see that Josh is now staring at us, so I decide to continue this charade and endure some more cringeworthy behavior from my admirer.

Adam-Miguel stands and then extends his hand to help me. I take his outreached palm and he gently pulls me up from the chaise. As I stand next to him I give him a coy smile, take a deep breath and wrap my arms around him. "Thank you so much," I say excitedly, as I linger in the hug for a moment. Adam hugs me back, clearly liking the affection I have bestowed upon him.

I sneak a look at Josh. He has a strange look on his face. I cannot tell if he is annoyed or sad. Or maybe it's a combination of both? It's hard to be certain from this distance. I feel Adam's hand on the back of my head as he begins to gently stroke my hair and whisper into my ear. He repeats the same spanish words he spoke earlier to me, but I now understand them. I quickly pull away, just in time to see Josh strolling up with the bevy of beach beauties next to him.

"Hey," he says. His eyes are intense as they stare down at me. He seems frustrated but there is something else mixed in. I can tell by the far off look in his eyes that he seems guarded... possibly even hurt.

"Oh, hi. How are you?" I ask, trying to sound cool.

"I'm good," he states as he continues to gaze in my direction. "Hi, I'm Josh," he says, and turns to Adam-Miguel and extends his hand.

"Josh, this is Adam," I say, trying to lighten the mood and help relieve whatever tension there now seems to be in the air.

Adam shakes Josh's hand. "Hi, I'm Adam-Miguel Hernandez." I see the two girls practically melt as he speaks. I don't know what it is about boys with accents that drive girls so crazy.

"And this is Amber," he says, indicating his girlfriend. "And Molly and April."

"Hi, nice to meet you. I'm Camila," I state. Introducing myself with my full name is a calculative move on my part. I only let close friends and family, and apparently Adam-Miguel, call me Mila. It's a sign that I like you, and I definitely do not like these girls.

"Camila? That's a really pretty name," Amber says flatly.

"Yeah I like it," Molly adds.