33: hard to talk to

I knocked softly against his door and took a step back as I stared at the door for a moment, feeling nervous and nauseated in my stomach after remembering what happened yesterday.

The door clicked open and I clenched my jaw as nervousness swallowed me whole.

Ash came into view moments later and I could tell he wasn't the same enthusiastic person I had met before.

His eyes had lost thier colour and was now a dull blue from his bright living blue iris.

He wasn't smiling even after his eyes met mine and I knew he hadn't forgotten or gotten over it.

Two weeks of Ash not
talking to me, here we go.

"What?" His voice came out rusty and forced when he asked, making chills ran down my spine.

"I just came over to invite you to a party at my place. Thought you could come. We're celebrating the coming of my new brother." I smiled when I brought Rhy in front of me who also seemed to be a bit terrified of how Ash looked at the moment. I couldn't blame him. Ash looked like a fearless rebel.

"Brother?" He asked without changing his serious face and I knew he didn't want to start a conversation but he couldn't resist either.

"We got him." I said. Trying not to used the word adoption in front of Rhy. "Will you come?"

He stared at Rhy for a moment. Sadness roamed in his eyes as he stayed quiet for a couple of minutes before glancing up at me.

"I don't know." He said flatly and I felt my chest tighten.

"W-Why not!?" I asked when I felt let down by him despite the fact that he's already facing a lot.

"I don't think I need to explain." He frowned when he stared intensively at me. I clenched my fists and glance at the ground for a moment.

Just kiss him...

I let go of Rhy's arm and moved as fast as I could so he couldn't block me and wrapped my arms around his neck, bringing my lips to his.

The moment our lips touched, I couldn't deny the fact that I missed them already and it's only been a day. I actually missed the way he would tease me and make fun of me after.

It was all electric and I felt alive.

But now, he couldn't even return it and I stood there like an idiot.

I stepped back when he wouldn't even think of returning the kiss, making me feel embarrassed as I recoiled.

"Sorry." I cleared my throat, avoiding his eyes as I casted my eyes to the ground, knowing too well he was staring at me.

I grabbed my confused Rhy's hand and slowly walked away, thinking maybe he would grab my wrist and turn me around.

It never came.

I sighed out as I began to climb down the stairs, feeling eaten up from the inside out when I remembered something.

I let go of Rhy's hand and rushed up the stairs again, running back to the door and was about to knock only to freeze when he was still standing there.

"I forgot to tell you that your mother wants you down for breakfast." I said and he glanced from me to the floor as he bit his lower lip but didn't say a thing. I sighed and clenched my jaw as I stared at the ground. "Look Ash. I'm sorry okay?" He simply looked up at me with his sad dull eyes, making me feel even worse. "Just say something at least."

"I'll be there." He breathed out and stepped back as he held his door. "Riley." And with that he closed the door.

I sighed out shakily and smiled a little, knowing he at least looks more alive than before.

I rushed back to the stairs and yet Rhy wasn't there. I walked down further into the house and ended up in the kitchen only to spot Rhy on the table with Peter.

How on earth didn't I see him passing.

"Riley." Rhy simply said when his eyes landed on me and I placed my hands on my waist as I walked to them.

"Eating breakfast again Rhy?" I asked as I eyed him intensively to which he smiled to and ate more cookies.

"Let him eat." Peter chuckled only to frown as he bit his lip. "I wanted to talk to you. In private." He said and I nodded as I sighed and patted Rhy's head just to signify that I wasn't going anywhere.

I followed Peter out of the door and into the front yard where it was much more beautiful than when I came a few minutes ago.

"Did Ash agree?" He asked when he stopped and turned to face me.

"Yeah." I nodded slowly only to frown at the expression of defeat on his face.

"You like him that much, huh?" He asked as he shoved his hands into his pockets.

"What are you actually saying?" I asked, not getting the point of this conversation.

"Why don't you just leave him?" He asked, raising his voice a bit. "I mean... He's not talking to you, so what? Just let him go and since you have a crush on me and I do too, maybe we could work things out."

We could work things out. Huh....?

At that moment I wanted to say yes, but I couldn't.

I couldn't just ignore Ash's feeling for me and I couldn't shove the feelings I have for Ash.

"I'm sorry. I can't... Not at this point." I said and he sighed with a slight weak smile on his face.

"Just admit you like Ash." He said and I nodded to him.

"He made me feel things for him." I chuckled forcedly and cleared my throat when I heard the front door open. I glanced over my shoulder only to spot Rhy walking out with Mrs Briton.

"Is Ash better?" His mother asked as she approached us.

"A bit." I cleared my throat when I held onto Rhy's hand. "He might come down for breakfast."

"Oh I see." She smiled then turned her eyes to Peter. "Are you alright Peter?"

"... I'm okay." He replied and I couldn't help but ignore the feeling in the air.

"Do keep a distance from Ash. I feel like he'll commit murder." She chuckled and yet I knew she felt so. "Actually, I've never seen him so attached to anyone other than you Riley. You really must mean a lot to him." She sighed then clasped her hands together. "I'll be off. I have some documents to file."

"You won't be at the party?" I asked and she shook her head in denial.

"I'm not a party person. But congratulations." She smiled before she walked away.

"I guess you must be going. Let me escort you back." Peter offered and I nodded slowly as we began to walk.

"What did Ash do last night?" I asked, knowing too well I couldn't resist it.

"Well," he cleared this throat as he glanced up at the sky. "When I got home after he did, he tried to hit me and lucky for me his mother was home and stopped him. His mother told me to get to my room and Ash denied and demanded that we talked  about it or else I wouldn't sleep. I agreed and stayed but he hardly said a thing except to stop making you like me." He chuckled but I didn't. "I told him I wasn't trying to before the movies and he just kind of switched off and just left the room. Since then he hasn't said a word."

"Oh." I nodded and sighed as I ran a hand through my hair. "I liked the old Ash though. This one scares me all the time."

"I'll be sure to tell him that." He chuckled as we reached my gate. "So see you tonight?"

"Sure." I smiled and sighed once more as I walked into the gate with Rhy.