15: Hatred by blood

He dropped off Peter and Sarah first since she insisted on staying over at his place, so it was just me and him as he drove to my house.

It was silent and very intense that the only sound I could hear was the engine of the car, and that was very low to speak of.

I tapped my thigh as I bit my lower lip, itching to say anything.

Anything at all.

"You can get out now." He said and I glanced at the gates of my house. As bright as ever. I held onto the handle and clicked it open, pausing for a moment when I heard him tighten his fist on the leather cover of the stirring wheel.

I pushed the car door open and sighed when I felt something hard struggle down my throat.

"Ash-"

"It will be much easier if you don't say anything." He whispered out shakily as he glanced out his car window. "We'll talk tomorrow."

"Okay." I only agreed because I needed to respect his decision and let him clear his mind before he said something to me he would soon regret.

After all, it's only natural to say things you do not mean when you are in a lot of stress and anger.

I closed the door shut and watched as he glanced at me for a second before turning on the engine and driving off. Continuing down the neighbourhood and at that point I was beginning to wonder if he was intending to make a U turn.

He didn't.

He exceeded, exiting the neighborhood and probably heading to place he recollects his thoughts better.

I clenched my fists tightly as I sighed and turned for the house, glancing down at my wrist watch only to notice I was completely two hours late.

Just great.

An entire shift in my schedule.

I ran to the house and quickly pulled my shoes off at the door, dropping them off neatly where the other shoes were and rushed to the dining room where I heard my mother.

Not talking but the sound of her plates and knifes.

"Oh darling!" My mother exclaimed as she spotted me first before my father did who, eventually, smiled.

Haven't seen him in a while....

"Oh. He's here." I cleared my throat as I walked to the table, staring intensively at him. "Why?"

"He just wanted to come say hi." She answered for him and I frowned deeply at her for trying to protect him.

"I don't think you have anything that belongs to you here." I explained and my mother gasped. Probably taken aback.

"You belong to me." He said with a tone of laughter. "Without me you wouldn't be alive. But, as your mother said, I wanted to come over and see how my little successor is doing."

"I'm perfectly healthy." I said as I sat down.

"I heard you went out," he pointed out. "With a boy?"

"Yes. Why?" I asked sarcastically, very uninterested in hearing the reason why. He was basically trying to create a conversation.

"Didn't think you would take that step in life." He explains and I couldn't feel a bit more annoyed.

"I don't like him." I said as I reached for the glass container with some spiced rice and meat pieces. "I just agreed to it."

"So, did you kiss him?" My mother asked without the slightest sense of shame as she smiles childishly while pecking her food, avoiding my eyes.

"... Yes." I admit, knowing that telling a lie would result to nothing. "That's why I went out in the first place. He said he wanted to let me try it out with no strings attached."

So much for no strings attached....

"I assume he's an intelligent college first year who exceeds all his tests with flying colours?" He asked and I rolled my eyes as I took in a few spoons of the rice.

"He's in highschool." My mother explains for me and I couldn't ignore the serious face he had suddenly worn.

"You're not being serious." He told me and I glanced down at my food. "Your job is to concentrate on school and school only young lady. Unless this boy of yours is as smart as you, then I suggest not associating-"

"Excuse me." I stand up, completely drained of appetite by him. "By the way father, my life does not concern you anymore. You married off to another woman and made your decision, so please, stop trying to take control over mine."

"That's why he's here Riley, he's divorced her and wants to come back to us." My mother said and I couldn't help but notice the brightness of her eyes.

I did not say anything but decided to leave instead, knowing to well that if I fire on him so much, it could break my mother and I know too well of her sensitive side.

I climbed up the stairs and made it to my room, instantly feeling exhausted at the sight of my bed. I lazily walked to it and instantly got under the covers, wrapping the blanket around my as I stared at the drawer in front of me.

Ash...
.

As much I don't want to admit it, but I must say that Ash is a very peculiar person. He's very unpredictable and as a matter of fact too open in his thoughts, though they seem like jokes and for his bully status, his open book of a mind does not cut it.