❁ Chapter Thirty Four - Discharge

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
Piper
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

I punched the numbers on the machine, waiting for the damn bag stuck in the wire to fall now. My brows furrowed as my gaze followed the bag being moved off the shelf in a snail's speed.

"Piper!" Gale shouted, getting my attention.

"I'm here, I'm here," I mumbled.

"Well...? Did you hear what I said?"

"You had a surprise for me, blah, blah, blah..." I said dryly, my tone nowhere near as excited as hers.

"Uhm, no! I'm coming home in a month!"

My breath hitched at the sound of her sentence, my smile only growing in size. "Are you for real?"

"Do you think I'd be joking bout this?!?" She let out a scoff, definitely followed by an eye roll. "Hell no! And even better, I'm coming home with your future boyfriend! He's a real charmer, a doctor here in the village, smart and so, so cute! You'll love him!"

"Yeah... about that," I trailed off, a part of me feeling guilty for having to ruin her plans. My other side couldn't wait to chew the damned chips, drink my soda and get back to my man. "I already have a boyfriend. He's also... y'know, the father."

"Oh!" She exclaimed surprised, then cleared her throat. "Well... who is he? Is he a doctor? Is he hot? C'mon, give me details!"

I chuckled at her enthusiasm, taking two steps in the direction of the soda machine. "He's not a doctor, but he is hot. He's... he's an amazing person, in fact. Courageous, smart, he treats me right, y'know?"

"Oh, God, please tell me he makes good money," she begged, making me burst out a laugh as I settled the phone between my shoulder and my ear to be able to press the buttons from the soda machine, hoping I'd get one of those. That was when I noticed the out of order sigm and almost punched the thing.

"Okay, okay, so what's his name?"

I was about to answer her when an idea occured to me. She had kept mentioning Reeve and I would be a mistake, so I was going to show her she was wrong. Maybe then she'd understand we weren't that bad of a couple.

An evil grin spread on my cheeks, my eyes following the people coming in and leaving the hospital. "You'll have to wait till you come home to meet him in person, babe. Now, you can tell me about your love life."

There was a long, strained silence in which she sighed heavily. "You're not being fair, you know that, right?"

"I am being extremely fair. You never talk to me about your love life, girl! I want to hear some stuff from you too! I can't be the only one to talk about this," I said seriously,

"Fine, fine, we'll talk, but... later," she yawned briefly, tiredly moaning into the line. "It's bedtime now..."

I sighed at her, feeling how she was avoiding that talk like the plaque. Typical Gale!

We said our goodbyes, after which she hung up. The feeling of her keeping secrets from me washed through me like chills, leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I shuddered at the thought, stuffing the phone in my backside pocket as I struggled to open the bag of chips. I just needed to take a prideful inhale of their iconic scent to be under the spell of hunger. Taking the bag from my nose, the hospital smell seemed to overwhelm my nostrils.

It reminded me how much I loathed this place!

Not that I had anything against the people, but I despised the hospital. It was so... sad. The sadness was imprinted in the fucking smell! People mourning their just deceased, people dying. It was totally the last place I needed to be in, seeing how depressive I already was.