❁ Chapter Thirty One - Truth

The door to Logan's office opened and Damian stepped inside, after half an hour of waiting for him to arrive. Logan and Jerome glared daggers at me the whole time as I nervously paced around the office in the search of my words.

"Shouldn't Dad join us too?" Logan grunted with a cocked brow.

I shook my head. "No."

"Why not?"

"Cause I don't want him to." I replied just as coldly to Logan.

He stood up from his chair and stopped himself in front of me, his stance oozing power and anger. "I don't know what you're hiding, but if you got us-"

"Shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down if you want me to talk!" I roared, literally not far from hitting him. I could bet he was impatient, but for all I cared, he was disrespecting me for not letting me gather myself. "Don't forget I'm here willingly. You either listen to my side of the story with your mouths shut, or I walk the fuck out of here and you can believe that fucking low life you hold hostage!"

He stared at me defyingly as the other two remained dead silent. With gritted teeth and spiteful growls, Logan sat back down in his seat. Damian tip toed to the seat next to Jerome in front of Logan's desk. I sat down on the small couch from his office, cracking the bones of my back.

"My rivalry with the Vipers started five years ago. Not yours, mine." I stated, eyeing Logan, who suspiciously narrowed his eyes. "I still worked at the station, I was a detective and my partner was Reeve. We had been partners for half a year or so, when the case on the Vipers popped up." My gaze wandered off as my nails scratched the back of my neck. "Two opiates victims."

"You can skip the details, Pip," Jerome groaned impatiently.

My eyes stumbled upon him, vacant and cold as they bore holes through his skin. "This is my story. If you don't want me to skip the details, you might as well get the fuck out."

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. He didn't dare say anything else. He knew if he hadn't stood up and left, I would've.

I cleared my throat and continued. "Anyways, I got a lead on the Vipers. I knew who sold their opiates, a dealer in one of your bars," I pointed at Logan. "We had a small interrogation after which we prepared to arrest him. We didn't plan on making a scene inside the bar, so we waited for the bastard outside."

I sighed, parting my thighs to stay more comfortable. "Just before we got the chance to arrest him, a van showed up out of nowhere. The dealer was killed in the gunfire, and Reeve jumped in front of me to protect me from the bullets." I ran my fingers through my hair, letting my mind run off to the memory. "My only guess is that the dealer called them and they had planned to kill him before he gave the police too much information. It made sense..."

"So... your boyfriend got shot." Jerome stated insensitively.

"No," I glared at him. "My partner was almost killed by five bullets in the back."

"Holy hell!" Damian muttered, acknowledging the danger.

"Yeah," a sad smile curled my lips, my eyes pointing on the nails I began picking on. "The bastard had one hell of a luck."

"So he... was your partner?" Jerome trailed off, looking away. "Is that supposed to explain something?"

"Just shut up, Jer," Logan grunted, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"It's supposed to explain the fact that I went on my own after the Vipers," I answered to Jerome. "Most people from the station disliked me unfairly, so I was practically on my own. I started with the lead I had from the dealer. I got my hands dirty to get the information I needed. Y'know, the usual for us," I smirked at that comment, remembering all the people I had beaten up to get the information I wanted. "I took photos, I broke into their systems, I took all the information I could possibly need to put Zane Rasmussen, Vaughn Reyes and the rest of his bitchass gang behind bars. They sent me a warning to stop what I was doing, but I didn't give a fuck. I was ready to lock their whole gang up."