❁ Chapter Five - Warning

"He arrested you?!?" Her shriek in my ear was more than hearable in the whole penthouse. If she were here, her voice would have been heard by the damn street. Which with for her was possible.

Meet Gale Allen, my best friend, a.k.a. the most annoying and childish and sweetest person on this whole Earth, since I started highschool. Now it would be... over twelve years of friendship from the moment we met up to today. She was my first real friend, in all honesty.

In highschool nobody tried to befriend me, because I used to be a thirteen years old girl ahead of the students older than me, but Gale did. She was three years older, sweet and funny and so energetic. We pretty much hit it off from the first moment we met, which was when she entered the school's doors, acting like the drama queen she was by making a grand appearance.

Two years later I graduated high school and was offered a scholarship at Harvard. I accepted, because I would've been a fool not to, but the distance didn't stop me from keeping in touch with my best friend. We remained best friends to this very day. Even if the distance tried to keep us apart - because she was in Africa at the moment, participating in one of those projects, trying to help the ones who don't have what we do, and I'm... well, in Chicago - it was a failed attempt on its side.

"Yeah, he did." I replied calmly, cracking the bones of my back to get the pain out of my position. Sadly, my back didn't agree. It only hurt worse.

What a bitch my body could be at times. Never comfortable how I put it. And we wondered why we shrugged it off like a skin at the end of our so called lives...

"Fucking-" she intended to continue a colorful curse, which was more than normal for her, but I caught the drift of her anger just in time.

"He's still hot."

"-ooooh, yeah baby! How hot are we talking about?"

I cleared my throat, arching my brows as I pictured him in my mind, standing by the table in the coffeeshop. He had that lean posture, demanding and intimidating that would have made you spill every relevant and irrelevant detail about yourself, just to live with the knowledge that you were heard by him.

I was talking from a teenager's point of view, the type of point of view which would have rather caught herself dead than spending time as/with a nerd.

But I couldn't be blamed. It was all because of the fit body that belonged to a Greek fucking God. He was muscled and hard and I could bet he was like that everywhere. Sadly, I never had the pleasure of seeing more than his arms revealed, that in a happy case, since he rarely wore t-shirts.

No, wait, I had the pleasure to see his thick forearms when he had his sleeves pulled up. God, I loved how his veins popped when he clenched those admirable fists!

"On a scale from one to ten? I'd say a hundred. A fair hundred." I finally replied after what felt like years of silence.

"You still like him? Even if he arrested you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Course I do. What kind of stupid question is that?" I never hated the guy, even if he never stopped trying to make me hate him. I liked him.

"Oh, I didn't mean it like that, babe. I meant if you still like-like him," she prompted.

I inhaled a deep breath, glancing away from my laptop. I thought for a moment about it, but then, shaking my head, I pushed the possibility away. "No, I don't. I like him as a friend. That's it. We've never been more and we surely won't ever be more, so why complicate it with feelings? We will most likely never see each other again, so..."