❁ Chapter Three - Information

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
River
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

"Do you think she'll pick up?" I asked, staring at the smartphone as if it were a ticking bomb.

"Why don't you call to see for yourself?" Damen rose a brow, gazing me the same intense way I was gazing the phone with. "Maybe she'll pick up."

"Even if she does, I can't guarantee she'll help." I mumbled, narrowing my eyes.

He shrugged, leaning a hip of the desk. "She won't have to do much, she'll just have to hand over the information she dug up."

My lips parted on a reply, but chief's voice cut my sentence short. "Who and what are you two talking about?"

Damen immediately stood straight as he shook his head. "Nothing important, sir."

I looked over my shoulder at the bastard, straightening myself as well. "Just women issues."

His brows jumped high, after which he frowned. "Women issues? What was that about infor-"

"Yeah, well, I don't find out every day I get a woman pregnant." I said with a casual shrug to hide the stress and the lie.

His face turned tomato red as Damen cleared his throat. "That's why he needs the medical information about the pregnancy, to make sure it's his kid." He explained.

The chief nodded, losing the scary posture and rubbing the back of his neck out of embarrassment. "Yeah, I wish you the best of luck then. Kids can be a handful. Don't recommend them." A nervous laugh broke through his lips and without another word he walked away.

"Son of a-"

"Good excuse. Though, for how long you think you'll hide this from him?" He curiously rose a brow.

I picked up the phone and typed in her number. "For as long as I can pull it off." And I dialed.

Placing the phone on my ear, I waited along with the beeps for her to pick up. The click sealed the deal.

"This is Piper Black-"

"Hi, PB, we need to talk about-"

"-I'm sorry, but I am not available at the moment. You can leave a message after the beep."

And the beep came along. I grunted a curse and hung up. "She didn't pick up."

"Well, that sucks." He pursed his lips, looking at the ground with rose brows. "You gonna call again?"

"Hell no! I'm gonna search through her files and see what the fuck she found out about those bitches." I slammed the phone on the desk, clenching my fist hard enough to rip a muscle.

"Didn't you do that already?"

"Maybe I missed something."

"You stayed up two days and checked that fucking information countless times!" He snapped. Pointing at the phone, he glared at me. "Grow some fucking balls and ask for her help! It can't be that hard!"