❁ Chapter Twenty Eight - Uh-oh

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
River
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

I stopped the car just near the restaurant the attack had place. A firearm attack, to be more exact. When I first heard about it, I thought it was a joke. Gang attacks were often, public ones too, but that didn't leave me speechless. What left me speechless was hearing the number of victims. Seven dead and around ten injured who were taken to the hospital.

Slowly, I went inside the restaurant, barely making my way through the crowd behind the police tape. Outside the restaurant where the shooting had had place, several injured people were being looked at by paramedics, while in front of the police tape, the gathered crowd filmed and photographed the restaurant. If the place wasn't until tonight, from now on would surely be famous.

"Wanna tell me the obvious?" I asked, approaching my beloved best friend.

"With pleasure!" Damen grinned, leading me towards the bodies. "We have five people who died here and momentarily two who died on their way to the hospital. All gunshot wounds."

We entered the hall that was a complete mess, with tables turned, the plates, glasses, flowers splattered over the ground, the wall opposite to the main windows covered with black dots left by bullets and five bodies laying on the ground. Sonya photographed the victims as a few forensic pathologists finished inspecting them.

We began inspecting the dead bodies on our own, hoping we could find anything to relate to the murders. I thought maybe everyone who had come here tonight was supposed to be killed, if not a few personalities from the crowd.

"The guys said the uninjured were too frightened to talk of what happened." Damen said.

Standing up and looking around the room some more, my gaze rose to the two cameras in the corners of the room. "Did the cameras catch anything?"

"They caught only four vans outside, no plates records in and no faces to be seen," he rhymed on purpose.

Looking at him with narrowed eyes, I immediately felt something fishy. "What's up with you? You're too happy..."

He shrugged and smirked smugly. "No biggie, just had a terrific date today and I can't wait for the second."

I nodded in comprehension and tapped his shoulder lightly. "Good for you, man. Now let's focus on this, alright?"

He nodded in agreement and just like that we slowly started to inspect the room. I saved some bullets that had fallen off the wall, into an evidence bag and tucked it in my pocket, before I decided to talk to the witnesses now that the fear washed away.

I talked with a few people that gave me the same answer. They only heard the gunshots before they ran or remained inside and dropped to the ground, not really catching anything else. That... until I stumbled upon this guy.

"So... what you say is that a woman stole your phone, deleted the video of what happened inside, accessed the cameras and cut off the transmission in the corners, ran to get the gun in her bag and then shot at the men in the vans?" Damen asked with arched brows.

I had to admit, if this guy wasn't delusional, then the woman was an actual secret agent in real life!

"Are you sure of what you saw, sir?" I asked doubtfully.