❁ Chapter Eleven - Stop

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
Piper
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

"How can you eat so much?" Reeve questioned, raising my eyes from my laptop.

I looked weirdly at his confused frown, shrugging my shoulders. "I," I chewed what was left in my mouth to find the ability to speak. I couldn't believe he was asking me that. "I like food. You got a problem with that? You're free to look away."

We just finished questioning at the dinner the drivers stopped to eat in and we were now sitting in the booth by the window. We were eating and I was working on my laptop, because I couldn't afford having an awkward conversation. As usual, I had to fuel up with as much as I could take. At the moment, that meant two hamburger menus, with French fries and coke, chicken nuggets, pancakes, scrambled eggs, donuts, mostly everything I could get. Reeve's breakfast was completely different, tho. He had just some oatmeal, waffles and eggs.

"I'm hella curious how you can keep yourself fed up with only that," I said seriously, eyeing his bowl of oatmeal with fruits.

His eyes narrowed and lowered to my food. "Maybe I don't want the place to go into bankruptcy."

I rose my cup of Coca-Cola and blinked at him boredly. "Funny," I said dryly.

I held in an eye roll as I lowered my eyes back to the screen. Codes were splattered across it in white letters over a black background. "I was wrong, y'know. I might just finish this tonight if I don't shut down this piece of junk."

"I thought it was delicate," he reminded me.

I sipped from the straw, making that annoying sound before I put it down. "Yeah, well it's discharging too fast. I should've taken my other laptop." I said before diving right back into my hamburger.

"You impress me more and more, PB. Honestly."

"How so?" I murmured, barely paying any attention to him as I struggled to type with one clean hand.

"You're a genius, a detective-"

"Private Investigator." I corrected, not looking at him.

"Whatever. You're a hacker, you work for a gang-"

"I don't work for no gang. My brother is the leader, I'm just doing the bastard a favor."

He sighed. "You forget to mention it's personal."

I frowned, still not looking at him. "It's not personal."

"Sure," he scoffed. "And I follow the rules."

I glared, keeping my eyes on the screen, continuing to type away my frustration. How the hell could he say it was personal? I wasn't obvious about it… was I?

The vibration of my phone suddenly starting to buzz on my table made me flinch. The buzz went on until I picked up the phone absently and placed it to my ear without looking at the ID.

"Piper Black speaking," I sweetened my tone just in case a client was calling me. Instead, I had the unpleasant surprise.

"Hi, sweetie!"