❁ Chapter Twenty Three - Rebound

"God, you're sooo… boring!" Jerome groaned as he dropped his head in my lap.

I glared, slapped his forehead and rolled my eyes, looking back at my laptop. It's been two weeks since he started living here and I was more than fucking sick of living with him! Though, he had a weird living schedule. He stayed here for two days, then he left for two days to solve his jobs. But when he returned, he obviously returned to bug the life out of me. So… I was boring, he was annoying. Hella annoying.

Now, I was dealing with one of my cases, investigating a woman's background before starting to stalk her to make sure she wasn't cheating. I… I was dealing fine with Reeve's and my break up, despite the pain that made me feel utterly dead on the inside. The bright side was that I was going to be an aunt of twins, that I got my video with Logan finding out Sam was pregnant and almost passing out at the information and… I was back to work. I even started investigating on some of Logan's cases, so… I didn't work just for the agency anymore.

"Pip," Jerome moaned pleadingly again.

I rolled my eyes. Again. "What?"

"I'm bored… can't we do something fun? Like play something?" He pleaded.

"No."

"Please!"

"No."

"Please…"

"I'm busy, Jer. Unlike you, I don't sit around all day bugging my siblings." What was supposed to be taken as an insult only made him huff in frustration.

"No, you work all day and watch shitty movies like Titanic."

I elbowed him in the stomach, keeping my expression straight. "I don't work all day! And Titanic isn't fucking shitty, you bitchass!"

He groaned, pretending to be hurt, as I continued typing codes away. He didn't say anything for a few moments, which almost made me sigh in relief that he'd shut his damn mouth for good.

Acknowledge the almost.

"So… what's popping? You've been depressive as shit these days. Mind telling me why?" He asked the same question he asked the past two weeks, every day when he was here.

"Not your damn problem," I grunted, reading through the files of the men the lady was seeing.

"I'm your brother, everything you do is my damn problem!" Now he sounded insulted.

"Yeah, well this doesn't concern you, so please," I elbowed his chest again. "Privacy!"

Like, Jesus, what was I? Fucking twelve? He honestly acted like a nanny these past few days. Making sure I slept, ate and didn't drink my life away, asking if I took care of myself while he was gone, following me around like I was going to do something stupid. Nah, he wasn't a nanny. He was worse than a fucking nanny. And I wanted to rip his head off because of it. I understood it was his way of showing he cared, but he was driving me insane!

I wanted to tell him everything, just so he'd give me some peace, but I couldn't. With Jerome it was harder to discuss than with Logan or even Damian. Those two you could say were a little tiny bit more reasonable. Jerome wasn't.

The thing about Jerome, he was a full blown psychopath. I knew if I told him about Reeve, he'd kill him. He'd do it not in a hotheaded way, he'd lie to me, promise me he wouldn't touch him, and then plan a perfect murder that would look like an accident. That was how Jerome handled personal.

He was smart and calculated, definitely not killing himself in the process. He could mimick and manipulate people easily, he could lightly take somebody's death upon himself without going through remorse. It was exactly what made him the perfect hitman. He rarely showed a true emotion, but when he did, it wasn't love or joy or any shit like that. It was fucking anger.