❁ Chapter Twenty Two - Heartbreak

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
River
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

The sound of my phone ringing had me zone out of my sleep. Exactly what I asked for! A stupid alarm to buzz right in my ear. Lazily, I dragged my hand to the nightstand and picked up the phone. I looked at the screen, only to see it wasn't an alarm. It was Damen calling me.

Rubbing both of my eyes tiredly to focus the image of my room, I took a peak around the place. My gaze firstly dropped at my side, where a small figure used to lay when I fell asleep. From outside, light shone, but not as bright as usual. Looking through the curtains, I managed to get a glimpse of a cloudy sky. My eyes returned to the still warm spot next to me in bed.

My heart ached like no other at the painful truth. She left, the thought crossed my mind like hooks, managing to cling and rip everything apart. Fuck, I didn't feel like this since… since never! I never hurt this much over a person, not even my own father. I looked at the watch on the nightstand.

7:34 am.

Finding myself longing for a distraction from the torturous pain, I placed the phone at my ear and sat up, letting out a weak, hurt yawn.

"Well, someone sounds like they got some good sleep," Damen chuckled, making me sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose.

Good sleep was far from it. I had an amazing sleep, after the best sex of my life. Letting my eyes return to the respective spot from the bed, I realized it wasn't worth spending only a few hours with her. Not when I wanted to hold her for as long as I lived.

"Don't even mention my sleep, man," I groaned, shaking my head at myself. The clothes were gone from the floor and there were no sounds in my apartment. She clearly left. "Why'd you call at this hour?"

"Aw, I wanna check on my friend and he gets pissed cause I'm interested! Wow, just wow!" He replied dryly.

I leaned back in bed with an oomph, replying in a casually warm tone. "I'm not pissed, I just would've expected to be important."

"Agh, you still in LA?"

"Nah," I muttered, staring at the ceiling.

"Jesus, you take a vacation for a weekend? Who does that? You should've taken longer…"

"I know," I muttered again. Raising my palm to my chest, I couldn't help but try to rub the pain in my heart away. It wasn't helping, but I was trying…

"You okay? You… sound a little off…"

"No, yeah, I'm fine," I cleared my throat, snapping myself out of it.

I got out of bed and stood up, searching with my gaze for my shoes.

"Anyways, we gotta talk about chief. Ever since yesterday he… he looks like somebody killed his mother. Kinda worries me. Not that I have him at heart, but… it's scaring the fuck out of me," he said, his tone turning awfully serious.

"Well, that sucks," I said bluntly, not really giving a shit about the old fuck. All I knew about him, was that he was a bastard. And that was it! I hated his guts from the beginning and I always would. Deep down, I had a feeling the sucker was a dirty cop.