❁ Chapter Six - Pursuit

The sound of the door's click made me wince in surprise. I snatched the flash drive and stuffed it in my pocket right when the door swung open. The first thing I saw was a gun clutched in a small pair of hands.

My brows shot up as my eyes lifted to the bob haircut with the color of chocolate, just under the bangs that almost covered her emerald eyes. I swallowed my racing heart at the sight of her. She looked worse than this morning, that was for sure...

"What in the fuck are you doing here, Reeve?" She growled, putting the gun at her back. She was wearing a pair of blue, ripped jeans and a white shirt with a black blazer. Sneakers were in her feet, which wasn't something she usually wore. Before. Before I got shot. Before she quitted. Before she investigated our last case. At that time she didn't wear sneakers.

"Uhm," I mumbled looking down at the box. Yeah, it turned out I was caught red-handed.

A harsh laugh broke through her as she launched herself at me. I jumped to my feet, staring down at the anger on her features that made her look ten times older. Out of nowhere, her palm connected with my cheek and definitely not in a gentle way. My head whipped on the side at the contact, a groan pushing through my lips.

"You son of a bitch!" She spat, disgust showing on her usually warm features. "How could you?!?"

"How could I?" I retorted, though I knew what I did was wrong.

Even if I deserved that slap, she had no right to ask me that question. Absolutely no right.

"How could you, PB? You're hiding information regarding the fucking Vipers! How can you do that?!? And for five fucking years too!"

She laughed, just shaking her head at me as she planted her hands on her hips. "I can't believe you broke into my office."

"I can't believe you hid this for fucking years!"

"I had my reasons!" She roared, glaring at me. "You would have done the same if you knew what was at stake." She said in pure repulse, then kneeled at the box to gather the papers I had spread around on the floor.

"I wouldn't." I stated coldly.

"Shut up and leave!"

"I'm not leaving without that information, PB!"

"Do you want me to slap you again?!?" She yelled, putting everything back in the box and throwing it in the back of the shelf.

"If it's what I need to take that information, fuck yeah!"

She inhaled deeply as she stood up again, pointing an index finger at me. "Do not provoke me, River! I am one person you do not want to mess with!"

"How so? Cause from what I know, all you can do is give up and run away!"

She slapped me on my other cheeks with her left, this time a hell lotta harder. "Say that I gave up one more time and I will punch you."

My nose wrinkled as I tilted my head down at her. "You're aggressing an officer of the law, Piper."

"You don't say," she grunted, raising her wrists to me. "You gonna arrest me again, detective? Go ahead, but keep in mind that it won't be my fault when you'll get in trouble for trespassing my property without a warrant!"

My teeth grinded in my mouth as I glared down at her. Her emerald eyes glistened with a fire I haven't seen before. A provocative fire that... that actually turned me on! For a moment there, I wanted to pick her up and pin her to that damn shelf and kiss her. Rip off those jeans. Stick my cock as deep as possible in her pussy.