❁ Chapter Twenty Seven - Birthday Party

We stepped into the great lobby from where a slender woman led us to the event hall, her eyes gazing Jerome at all times. Her mouth remained to the politeness she obviously resented having towards me.

I really wanted to laugh at her and her foolish thoughts, but I decided to play as Jerome's date for the night. After all, if I had no date, this single dumbass didn't have a date either, so we could be each other's date.

I looked around the room for a while, eyeing the men at each window. The bodyguards dressed in black. I knew most of them from the warehouse. They played as Logan's bodyguards. Most of them were with him 24/7, while the others were with Sam. Sam tried to pull it off with him and avoid the bodyguards, but ever since the pregnancy, Logan refused letting her be alone anywhere without bodyguards.

I knew, after what happened when she was kidnapped that once, Logan still wouldn't have let her wonder the streets without a bodyguard, but instead of that, he made sure she always had a tracker on her. He had plugged all of her jewelries, her phone, her boots, some clothes. He took measures after that kidnapping.

Taking my eyes off the bodyguards, I looked around the room at the guests. Countless tables rounded the hall, every table having at least six seats. Dad knew a lot of people because of who he was. He had a lot of friends and… enemies. And even more frenemies.

Saying that the hall was full wasn't even the it about it.

Dad, along with other guests, walked between the tables and socialized, if not danced on the dance floor. I couldn't say how active the man was in his sixties.

"You ready?" Jerome asked with a rose brow as he nudged my arm with his elbow.

I immediately clung myself to him and stayed close. I could easily hold him, seeing I had left the present in a different room with the rest of the presents. "Yeah…"

"Then off we go," he mumbled a little too excited. The woman led us to our table where Damian momentarily sat.

Damian was impatiently glaring at his glass as he ticked his finger to the table, which was unlike him, since this type of party was his area of expertise. He liked talking to people, bragging about his status and all that. It made me wonder what was up with him. Though he mentioned he didn't want to come with someone, he usually did have a lady by his side at these type of events. 

No girl by his side, no bragging… it was weird.

"Are you high?" I questioned Damian, ignoring the woman who gawked disgusted at me as she left.

Damian threw me a weird look as he shook his head. "No, why would you think I am?"

"You act weird, dude."

"No, I don't."

"Yeah, you do," Jerome agreed. "What's up with you? Found yourself a chick or something?"

He shook his head again, disappointment spiking his features. He rubbed his temple with his index finger, which made me rub his arm and try to ease his problems.

"What's wrong, big bro?"

"I just have… this patient," he pressed his lips in a hard line. "I can't do anything more to help her."

I smirked mischievously. "Oh, it's a she?"

"It's a ten years old girl," he said bluntly, grabbing his glass of alcohol. "And she has leukemia."

My heart clenched from the news. "God," I muttered.

"Yeah," he sighed. "AML. She has two months left to live, if not less."