❁ Chapter Seven - Move On

╭━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╮
Piper
╰━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━━✶━━ ⋅𖥔⋅ ━╯

"What about your nightmares, Piper?" Doc Lil, more exactly, Lillian Bruce, my therapist and the woman that helps me go through every single day without slicing my wrists or other part of my body, asked, leveling the notebook on her slender, golden knee.

She was, as usual, wearing a professional outfit, a white, tight skirt and a red blouse with two buttons giving a peak her bountiful breasts. She wore heels with a thin heel in the same color as her blouse, the exact shade, no stockings. Her blonde hair was tied in a neat bun, her strong features not letting me see any slip of her emotions, though I knew she felt for me. That pair of pitch, black eyes, as dark as they were, they showed an ounce of pain at the sound of my torture. It assured me she was human, that she believed me and she didn't judge. She was lucky with those bookworm glasses, she hid most of her feelings easily.

This woman I respected, though, because at every end of session she'd assure me what happened to me wasn't right and she'd look me in the eyes, without those glasses. She'd always tell me the truth. And for that I respected her.

"I had them twice this week, five times this month. I couldn't sleep much," I sighed, placing my head in my hands. "They were the same as usual. I was running naked through the woods... with vipers following me. I couldn't run fast enough. And they'd catch me. And... I'd wake up when I was bitten."

"And you say there was nothing different?" She said softly, arching a blonde brow.

I shook my head. "No..."

"Well, you already know what the nightmare means, don't you?"

Course I did. I had the same nightmare for five years. The same nightmare that represented my darkest fears. The darkest fears I never felt comfortable in admitting out loud, so I just kept them in a little room, locked in the back of my mind when I wasn't here.

Yeah, I never allowed myself to bring up those fears when I was out of this soundproof room. Every time I was in the real world, dealing with my family, my cases, everything, I was afraid to go into that room. It felt like I was entering a completely black room in the middle of the night. But, when I was here, I had a little light that guided me through the fears. With every session I managed to ease them. They didn't disappear, but they became less relevant with the time.

But some nights they still haunt me through the nightmares and remind me the past cannot be forgotten. Which brings me at least once a month back here.

"I do," I mumbled, looking at the ground.

"I'm not going to lie, Piper." She started taking off her glasses, her expression remaining serious. "I think your state will get worse if you seek revenge. Not to mention you might get yourself killed. If you don't end this, forget about them, you will end up in a mental hospital. And I'm telling you as a friend, not as a therapist. It's time to move on."

I looked at her with a straight face, not adding anything. Her words lingered in my mind for hours... hours. And yet, I still couldn't give up on the idea. Two days ago, this was a must mission. It was a favor, a task from my brother that I had to complete. Now? It was personal. And personal usually meant getting myself killed.

I sighed, looking at Logan who calmly just assimilated the situation. I didn't tell him I was going after the Vipers. I told him I'd retake the route the bad drivers followed to Charlotte to find out. He had agreed to lend me guns for my search, just in case. He didn't know I was going into a suicidal mission or that I had asked his soon enough step son to tell me about the bars that belonged to the Vipers in Charlotte.