Chapter Thirty-Six

The interior of the plane blew her away. Leather seats lined the sides, some long couches and other singular chairs. Towards the back of the plane, there was a bathroom which she'd already used once within that hour. Next to the bathroom was what she only assumed to be a bedroom. Sophia got a small glimpse inside when Noah stormed in before the flight took off. It also meant that she saw Brooke topless and it made her heart sink a little. She knew Brooke would be going on vacation too, so why had she had a slither of hope she wouldn't be there?

Sophia was the last to greet Noah which had made things all the more awkward for her. Seating hadn't been something she'd thought about until the moment came when a stewardess asked her to take her seat as they would be taking off within the next couple of minutes. Mason and Kelly were sat on a couch and Jackson laid on the other. Alan and Sherry were sat opposite each other on two separate chairs, which left only two seats for them. There were eight seats, only one left vacant thanks to Jackson's long legs, which was the leather chair opposite Noah's. She mentally cursed herself for being reluctant in stepping onto the plane and placed her bag by her side as she sat. Noah was still in the bedroom at the back, so she took the opportunity to plug in her earphones and open her book, in the hopes that immediate focus on the words would stop her from losing concentration and her mind wandering to the man who would be sitting two feet away from her for twelve and a half hours.

She felt his presence nearing her as she finished the first page of her book, and she knew that would be the only page she read over those twelve hours. The flight carried on as she'd expected. Noah sat with his laptop on his knees, Kelly and Mason chattered quietly, Jackson slept and Alan and Sherry were playing a card game. Everyone seemed to be in their own little worlds and barely interacted with each other, but when Sophia stood for the second time to go to the bathroom, Noah glanced up at her and let his eyes glide over her body, before turning to focus back on his work. The gesture made her flustered and she sped to the bathroom to escape. After splashing water on her face and giving herself a much needed pep talk in the mirror, she made her way back to her seat and picked up the book again, trying to read a couple more pages. Then, a gentle tap on her leg jolted her from her thoughts. She looked to the side of her book and caught sight of Noah sliding his phone across the table, the screen was dimmed but she could read the bold writing.

Come with me.

Sophia shook her head and turned back to her book. A second later he swiped the phone from the table, typed furiously and slid it back across.

Please. We need to talk.

There was a pleading look in his eyes and she couldn't help but give in. He stood first and walked to the back of the plane and waited for her. Sophia made sure no one was watching and then followed him. He opened the bathroom door and allowed her in, before walking in behind her and locking the door. He perched himself on the edge of the bathtub and just stared at her. Sophia stared back with her head tilted slightly to the right, trying to work out what he was thinking. "Why are you looking at me like that?" He broke the silence that felt comfortable to him, but for her was the complete opposite.

"I'm not - why did you bring me in here?" Sophia asked.

"I wanted to talk."

"In a bathroom? Why not out there?"

He blew out a breath. "All ears would be listening. This way I thought we could have privacy."

"Why do we need privacy? Everything I've needed to say has been said and I know you're still going to refuse to tell me the truth. So?"

He shook his head in disbelief. "Forget I said anything."

She stopped him. "That's the point, Noah. There's nothing to forget because you never say anything. Words come from your mouth but they don't mean a damn thing." He was up on his feet within a matter of seconds, and then another second later he was towering over her, a few centimetres away. His breathing was heavy, his hands went to his forehead in frustration and then combed through his hair.