Chapter Thirty-One

The photographs were stunning. Reflections of the evening sunset were cast onto the lake and the purple-orange swirls of the evening sky were enhanced by the slow movements of the water. He'd captured the photograph at the perfect time before the sun fell behind the shadowy trees in the distance. A small rowboat sat in the middle of the lake, occupied by Sophia. She hadn't realised he was watching her that evening. The mesmerising colours of the evening sky and the beautiful subject in the centre of the lake was too much to resist as he snapped the photograph.

Sophia noticed it became a running theme of his. Every few images she passed on his expensive camera, she noticed there were some of her, none of which she was aware he was taking. There were a couple of her in the kitchen making dinner and others of her and Kelly laughing while watching a movie in the living room. She was his subject, his muse, and she wanted to feel uncomfortable about it all but she couldn't. James was a talented photographer who knew how to snap a good shot, and she convinced herself that was all it was.

There was a set of images that caught her attention. He'd taken them one evening as Sherry and Alan sat alone in their living room side by side. His arm was around her in a loving manner and she snuggled into him. A small smile formed on his lips as his wife slept on his chest. It was a foreign feature on Alan's face and Sophia had only seen him smile a handful of times. Through all of the photographs, that was by far her favourite and she told James so.

He was in his bedroom, sitting at his desk on his laptop. A pair of headphones sat atop his head as he worked on editing photographs he'd taken from a birthday party he'd attended that week. Sophia stood behind him with his camera in hand and he was oblivious to her entrance. She hung the camera over her neck and violently slapped her hands onto his shoulders. Beneath her hands, she felt his body jolt and he turned around with a confused look on his face.

"You shouldn't scare a man like that!" He put his hand on his heart and slipped off his headphones with the other. Once he recovered, he asked her if she'd looked at his photographs.

"They're beautiful. You really are an amazing photographer." He grinned at her.

"I try," he joked. "Have you got a favourite?" Sophia showed him the photograph of Alan and Sherry and he agreed that was one of his best. James imported his photos onto the computer and Sophia sat and watched him work. She then asked the question that had been burning in her mind since the moment she turned the camera on.

"Why am I the focus of most of your work?"

"You want the truth?" She nodded and his cheeks began to turn a shade of red. "You're beautiful and photogenic. Every time I look at you I see an amazing photo opportunity, but it's not only that. Whenever you walk into a room it lights up, everyone here loves you and it's obvious. Heck, I've known you a month and I already feel like I've known you for a lifetime."

Sophia agreed."You're a real charmer, you know that?"

He wiggled his eyebrows. "Is it working on you?"

"Dream on," Sophia laughed and he soon joined her. They didn't see each other as anything more than friends, they'd made that clear after the first couple of times they'd hung out. She confided in James, he wasn't directly related to the McKenzies and because of that, she felt she could confide in him about her complicated relationship with Noah. She wanted an opinion of someone closer to Noah's age with a bit more experience in the dating scene. James was twenty-eight and full of wisdom. Having an age difference of just over three years between them, she felt he had a lot to offer in terms of life and relationship advice. "You know, you never did tell me about your time in London."

"I don't really like to talk about it."

"Why?"

"I just don't. It's a time I'd rather forget. I was young and stupid and I did some things I'm not proud of."

The sound of a loud bang shook the room and both James and Sophia sprung to their feet and headed across the hall directly to the noise. Sophia was grateful for the interruption. The door to Jackson's room was open fully and he was standing by his closet repeatedly punching the wooden door. "Jack!" James yelled, bringing his attention to the two standing in the threshold of the door. "What's going on?"

"I've got a date!" He said as if it were the worst possible thing that could happen to him. "And I don't know what to wear or where we're even gonna go. I'm picking her up in half an hour and I haven't even showered yet!"

"Okay," James said, placing a hand onto Jack's shoulder. "We'll sort this. You get your shower and we'll pick out your outfit."

"Really?" Jackson said and let out a deep breath. "Thanks." He quickly excused himself and headed into his bathroom, locking the door. A second later, the water started to run and Jackson's quiet singing began. James began picking potential outfits from the closet and held each up to show Sophia. After only a few minutes, Jackson's date outfit was laid out on his bed, along with matching shoes and cologne.

*

When Jackson entered the living room dressed in the clothes they'd laid out for him, Sophia felt her heart warm a little. He looked handsome, but more importantly, he looked grown-up. Typically, the twenty-two year old wore mid-thigh shorts and hoodies all year round but when he emerged wearing a pair of black jeans paired with a light blue polo, suede boots and a pair of black sunglasses that hung from the neck of his shirt, he oozed maturity. "How do I look?"

"My boy is all grown up!" Sherry's hands found her cheeks in shock as she stared at her son.

Jackson rolled his eyes. "Can I take the Porsche?" Sherry agreed and began to lecture him about safe driving, making sure he had his driver's license in his wallet and, of course, what time he had to be back. Even though he was twenty-two, he still had a curfew. Sherry asked him to be back by the latest one o'clock in the morning. She and Alan had an early start the following day and she didn't want to be up all night worrying what time he'd be home.

He swiped the keys off the counter, pocketed his phone and left the house. A couple of seconds later, the sound of Jackson revving the engine echoed through the house and he sped off down the long driveway to the exit. Barely two minutes later, there was a pound on the front door followed by the ringing of the doorbell. Assuming it was Jackson, Kelly walked through the living room and out to the front door.

"Can I help you?" Her voice was quiet as if nervous. There was a faint mumble from the person standing on the outside and then Kelly shouted for Sophia. With slight confusion, Sophia made her way to Kelly and the man standing on the porch made her heart stop momentarily. She would recognise those piercing green eyes and combed back blonde hair anywhere. Harry stood on the threshold, a box of chocolates in hand-wrapped with a silk bow on top.

"Give me a minute?" She said to Kelly, who was hesitant, but left all the same. "What are you doing here... How did you know where I was?"

"It's nice to see you again, Sophia," Harry smiled. She repeated her question and this time earned an answer. "I came to apologise for how things turned out between us. I called your phone the other day and a guy - um, Jackson I think he said his name was - answered. He told me you were staying here."

"You had no right showing up here. You should've spoken to me first."

"Well you were making that pretty difficult. You decline my calls whenever I ring."

Sophia sighed. "That's because I don't have anything to say to you. You and I went on one date and at the end of it, you ended up in Brooklyn Miller's bed. I thought you were different to most guys but you're all the same."

He shook his head, taking a step towards her. She took a step back. "I'm different, I swear. I was drunk and it was a mistake. We all make mistakes."

"You're right, we do. But it's been six months and I've heard nothing, no apology, no text, nothing."

"I've wanted to call..."

"Wanting to do so and actually doing it are two separate things, Harry."

He sighed and shrugged. "What do you want me to say?"

"I want you to tell me why you're here out of the blue. I don't even work at MKT anymore, so I can't help you."

"Neither do I. I'm working at another newspaper, I relocated out of state. I'm only back for a couple of days. And as for why I'm here, well I guess I came to warn you."

"Warn me?" She wanted to laugh. "Warn me about what?"

"I worked at MKT long enough to know what goes on there and you can't always trust what comes out of the boss's mouth. Just... just be careful."

"I can't believe this. Just go."

He nodded, feeling defeated. "I will, but just remember that I tried to warn you. I just don't want to see you get hurt..."

"Goodbye, Harry." Sophia closed the door before he had a chance to mutter his goodbyes.

She turned around to find James leaning against the doorjamb watching her. "Who was that?" he asked.

"Harry, he worked at MKT. We went on a date once, he left me to find my own way home and then went and slept with Brooke. It was the night I told you about, the one at Club Infinity."

James nodded, she'd only told him half of the story and by half, it was the scenes with Noah present. "You should stay away from him." His voice was laced with slight concern, but it was small enough for Sophia not to notice. She replied with an 'I plan to' and they carried on their day, waiting in anticipation to hear from Jackson when he returned from his date.

—————
Sorry this chapter is a little late, I forgot it was Sunday. That seems to be happening a lot during lockdown haha
Thanks for reading!
-Sophi