Chapter Ten

The glitz and the glamour gave her a sense of overwhelming suffocation. Having all of those people staring at her was something she wasn't familiar with, she was usually invisible. If she were to audition for a movie, Sophia would be cast as an extra way in the back hidden by an over the top actress blocking the view of her. That's the way she liked it, she didn't want to be seen. She knew that being Noah's date to the gala would be suffocating but she didn't expect herself to faint, and the heat in the ballroom didn't help either.

Slowly she came back to consciousness but still kept her eyes closed and wondered where she was- if she'd been moved. That alone was enough to pique her curiosity and she carefully opened her eyes. "She's okay!" Kelly said and almost immediately a quiet murmur broke out amongst the other guests. Noah looked down, her head was rested on his lap, his hand softly brushing her hair.

"Can you help me up?" Sophia asked Kelly and she nodded, took hold of her hands and pulled her to her feet. As she stood Noah's hands found her waist and guided her up, making sure she wouldn't fall, and once he was satisfied she was steady he let go. She muttered a thank you to Noah's sister as she steadied herself.

"Come," Noah took hold of her hand and walked out of the sliding glass doors out onto the balcony that overlooked the garden. "What happened?" He asked as they strolled downstairs and out into the open air.

"I'm sorry I embarrassed you..." She turned to look at him, gauging his reaction before she continued talking.

"Sophia," he tried to interrupt but she kept speaking.

"I felt overwhelmed with the heat and this dress is too tight, I can barely breathe and...oh God I can't believe I fainted!" She put her head into her hands without a care that she may have smudged her makeup.

He stopped her from rambling by putting his hands on the tops of her arms and rubbed them gently. "When I said what happened, I really meant are you okay?"

She nodded and they continued to walk down the pathway, deeper into the garden. There was a fountain, similar to the one in the centre of the driveway at the far end. Unbeknown to her it was where Noah was leading her and as they reached it, she took a seat. Noah stood in front of her, his hands shoved deep into his pockets. "Is the fresh air helping?"

"Yes."

He lifted his head so that his gaze met hers, and opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it again. He thought about what he wanted to say but decided against it.

He wanted to tell her the truth, that he was sorry. As far as she was concerned their relationship was strictly professional but what he was beginning to feel wasn't professional at all. He was beginning to feel as if that's not all he wanted. He'd been watching her for a while now and it was no coincidence that Linda was in Joey's cafe when she was. Sophia was the only candidate for the position. He created the position within his company specifically for her and in truth, his aunt wasn't originally leaving the company for a few months but when Noah's uncle fell ill it appeared that there was some truth and benefit in her leaving for the meantime. He had to think fast as time was closing in. It was true that his aunt had to take two months off to take care of his uncle and it gave the perfect opportunity for Noah.

"You could never embarrass me, you know that?" Sophia shrugged and raised her hands to her upper arms rubbing them gently. The cool air from the lake behind the garden swept across the grass bringing a bitter chill to her skin. Instinctively Noah shrugged out of his blazer and took a step closer. He placed it around her shoulders. Using the lapels he brought it closer around her body, and his fingers lingered there for a couple of seconds before he dropped his hands to his sides and sat beside her. She felt his form sitting so close to her that goosebumps littered her skin - thankfully her arms were covered by his blazer.