Chapter Eight

She prepared dinner once she knew the coast was clear and the arguing had stopped. Brooke had left the apartment and Noah had gone into his room to work out his anger on a punching bag he recently had installed. His room was large, about as large as the living room, and in one half he had his living area with a bed, a chest of drawers and a walk-in closet and on the other side was his gym area: a treadmill, weight lifting bench and his new addition the punching bag.

Most evenings after they arrived home from work, Noah went into his office and started all over again. His workload was never-ending and the only reason he even left the office was because he needed that change of scenery and the privacy and comfort of his own home. He also knew that he would have a decent meal on the table by seven o'clock, and it was something he looked forward to. He enjoyed having Sophia as company in his lonely apartment; without her there the only other people he talked to were his driver Roger and his cook, who came in every couple of days to restock the pantry and prepare meals. Now that Sophia was living in the apartment his caterer wasn't needed as much, therefore he limited her hours to only two days per week.

The emails piling into his inbox and the constant phone calls he was receiving put him on edge and he wished for yet again another change of scenery. He took his laptop, charger and notebook out to the kitchen and sat at the breakfast bar. Sophia was busy cooking and she smiled when her eyes fell upon him, his rounded glasses perched on his nose.

He caught her looking at him but didn't let on. He knew the plan was beginning to work and she was starting to trust him, but he feared the worst. Of course, he feared that she would fall for him but more importantly he feared that he could fall for her.

"Brooke is out of town this weekend and I have a charity gala I must go to. I'd like you to attend with me."

"What's the charity?" She asked and stirred the pot briefly before turning to him. The questions she asked were unimportant as any answer he gave wouldn't cause her to change her mind. She had already decided to accept Noah's proposal as she pitied his unloving engagement.

"Cancer in children." Her chest tightened as she thought back to her little brother Ethan and his battle with cancer at the young age of twelve. "It's not compulsory," he noticed her hesitation and noted there was something on her mind, but didn't push for answers; he knew the more he got to know her the more dangerous things would become.

"I'd love to go."

"Excellent. I have a hairdresser, make-up artist and stylist booked for one P.M." As soon as the words came from his mouth he realised he should have worded it differently, he knew that for a woman wording was everything and he knew that what he had just said will definitely be interpreted differently in Sophia's mind. Either she was thinking that she wasn't attractive enough - a definite understatement as to him she was beautiful - or he thought that she would think she was his second choice when in reality she was the only choice. "Not that you need any of that of course. There is nothing wrong with your appearance."

"Is it really necessary?" Sophia plated the food and carried it to the table, poured herself a large glass of wine and did the same for Noah as he walked over to the table. He pulled out a chair at the opposite end to where Sophia had taken a seat and waited for her to take the first bite before starting his own meal. Sophia was hesitant and Noah noticed there was something bothering her.

He sighed and set his fork back down before he had even started eating. "I hope I haven't offended you."

"Not at all, I just don't like to be made a fuss of," she shrugged. "I can buy my own dress and go to the salon in the morning." He shook his head as if to dismiss her.

"Thank you for the meal Sophia," he said, changing the subject. He collected some of the pasta shapes onto his spoon and fell into the rhythm of eating in silence. The bowls were practically clean by the time they had finished their meals and the only evidence of the bread Sophia had cut and placed in the middle of the table were the breadcrumbs left at the bottom of the bowl. She stood and began to clear the table when his words pulled her from her work. "There will be a lot of powerful people there."