Chapter Twenty-Two

Jasmine left that afternoon. Noah had asked for her to be out of the apartment by the time he arrived home and even though Sophia was angry at him, she didn't disobey - he was still her boss. As she stood in the kitchen waiting for the chicken she'd placed in the oven half an hour before to cook, she wondered what time he'd be back and who would be accompanying him; Brooke's belongings were still hung in the closet in Noah's room. And even though they'd been separated for around a month, Sophia wondered whether things were really over between them or if it was for show.

Brooklyn Miller didn't permanently live in Noah's apartment as she spent most of her time travelling the world, walking in fashion shows and modelling for well-known magazines. She was successful in her own right, she had an apartment and money of her own. Yet Sophia wondered why most of her clothes were still hanging, neatly pressed in Noah's closet. Was she planning to return? The thought made Sophia sick. She still didn't know the truth behind the newspaper article and wanted to give Noah a chance to explain why he happened to be in Milan at the same time as fashion week. She wanted him to explain why, through everything, he was seen with his hand on her waist, pulling her close into his side as if they were two lovers on a weekend escape.

It was getting late and Sophia took the chicken out of the oven. She had it on a slow cook but knew that if she left it in there for any longer it would lose its tenderness. She covered the food with some foil, not making herself a plate. She'd lost her appetite. Noah never gave a time he'd be back, instead told her he'd be home early evening, but it was nearing nine o'clock, dark outside, raining and he hadn't shown. She collected a blanket from her bedroom and snuggled up on the couch to wait for him. She wasn't going to bombard him with questions that evening, she was far too tired for that. Instead, she waited up for nothing other than her own curiosity. She wanted to know if Brooke would be returning with him. That way she could save herself the embarrassment, pack her bags and leave. Brooke showing up would give her the answers she needed.

*

Marching through the door at nine-thirty wheeling a suitcase behind him was Noah McKenzie. His tie sat crooked around his neck and his hair stuck up in all directions. By the slight lopsided look on his face, it was evident he'd been drinking. Noah has consumed a lot of alcohol since he got off of his flight at six o'clock. He'd told Roger to drive him to any bar and wait outside until he was finished drowning his sorrows.

The trip to Milan was business, regardless of what the papers said. Brooke was there performing in the fashion show and he took that opportunity to alter Sophia's opinion of him. He was the one who called the paparazzi and arranged where they'd be. He slung his arm around Brooke's waist lazily and pulled her towards his body, adding a loving kiss to the side of her forehead for good measure. Noah knew that by morning that photograph would be all over the papers and Sophia would surely see it. If he could get her to hate him, make her think that he was using her all along, it would make it easier to do just that. He hadn't a choice. It was either use her or let her be used by her abusive ex for the rest of her life. Noah weighed up his options and decided hurting her for a short year was far better than allowing her to be hurt for eternity. The things that Bradley Connor had said he'd do to her if he got the chance were sickening and Noah couldn't let that happen, not to anyone - but especially not to the woman he was falling in love with.

He spotted her curled up on the couch looking his way and that was enough to sober his mind a little. "Noah..." she spoke up, blinking a couple of times as her eyes adjusted to the bright light of the hall.

"What the fuck do you want?" He spat but deep inside his anger wasn't there. It was all an act, he needed her to leave because his feelings were beginning to get in the way. He was told to build a relationship with her, a friendly relationship to gain her trust and then he would rip her world from beneath her feet. The guilt bubbling inside him needed to be tamed, his family's reputation was at stake for fucks sake! The McKenzie's had a secret and it was one hell of an opportunity for blackmail. It would destroy the entire family if the public learnt of their true roots. Underneath Noah's tough, arrogant exterior, family meant everything to him. Without them, he knew he'd never have been as successful as he was and he owed everything to his grandmother. From a young age Elizabeth McKenzie, his father's mother encouraged him to pursue his dreams. At age eleven Noah was interviewing his father's friends when they'd come to visit and create an article about their lives. It wasn't anything extraordinary but it made him realise what he wanted to do when he grew up. Noah wished to tell the stories that other papers refused to write. He didn't care much for the drama or the gossip, he wanted to publish stories that told the truth, and that's what he did; he built his empire from exactly that.